Our turn for Ice Rescue training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The classroom part was supposed to start at 1800 on Friday. But as Murphy says, here’s the wrench to throw in it.

At around 1715 or so the State Police get into a high speed pursuit headed my way. &%#&*(^$ I’m in an unmarked so I have to stay away and just listen to it.

While I’m praying for stripes and a light bar to suddenly appear they take all back roads into Washington. Then the rocket scientists turn around and come back into Idaho where the spikes were waiting and did their job. Once the vehicle stops the 4 teen occupants split in 4 directions. A K-9 introduced himself to one of the females and two more were quickly taken into custody but the driver was still out and about. The track had him going to the river and possibly swimming across it. Now I’m in the chase and on my turf.

After around an hour of searching and evidence that he made it across and into Washington, we secure and head to class. The shift Sgt. is also a team member and was later than I was to class but we made it.

After getting home around 2130 we slept quick and were back ready to go at 0800 on Saturday. We had 5 or 6 different fire agencies represented from Idaho and Washington and us. They ate more donuts than we did. :wink:

Once out on the ice it was great. This was the best ice we have had in years for training. It was 6-8” thick of the prettiest frazzle ice on the planet. All you had to do was just stand there for a while and down you go. Some areas were OK but I have never seen so much of the lake with this type ice on it. This was great as a large majority of the firemen and our newest team member (like a couple of days ago) have never done this before.

My #2 was one of the two Dive Rescue International instructors. The other one is our token fireman on the team. As usual they did a very good job and kept everyone’s interest.

"Are you cold now"?

I'm cold just watching the video. Looks like a very cool experience.

Cold isn't a problem, overheating is, big time. :wink:

Very nice report... I think the local news did a great job of covering it also.

So was it her idea to play victim? or did you guys talk her into it?

Annie is a very good sport who doesn’t take much coxing to get involved. 5 years ago she was a victim in a Rescue Alive recovery. This year I talked her into a rope recovery. I have double of most of the equipment in my vehicle so I put her in my spare TLS 350. Last time she was in a Gumby suit. During her interview in the water I had to be careful not to go through the ice as I had the helmet cam and the mic on neither of which were waterproof. She got a little cold as she only had blue jeans, a thin shirt and light jacket on. Not much insulation for the conditions. She had planned on spending an hour or so with us but ended up spending half the day.

Gary D.

Oh, I almost forgot. Fireguy, our token fireman called me earlier today. Seems that after training yesterday he went home for the night. Then today he went to town and did some running around before returning to the station. The chief asked him if he had looked at the back of his truck? :idk: Right then and there he knew I had done something. :shocked2: He goes out and checks then calls me. I couldn’t keep from laughing but that bright pink “I’m Gay” sure stands out on a white truck. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Oh, I almost forgot. Fireguy, our token fireman called me earlier today. Seems that after training yesterday he went home for the night. Then today he went to town and did some running around before returning to the station. The chief asked him if he had looked at the back of his truck? :idk: Right then and there he knew I had done something. :shocked2: He goes out and checks then calls me. I couldn’t keep from laughing but that bright pink “I’m Gay” sure stands out on a white truck. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Gary:

Sometimes you are just not right!!!!!!

Glad everything went well with your training and you were able to get some good PR on the news! Just wondering how you got elected to snuggle with Annie in the water?????

Stay safe!

Dan

Interesting coincidence, Gary... I stopped by Atlantis yesterday to pick up some caths before my trip to CA tomorrow, and the Spokane Sheriffs were loading up their truck for some ice diving at Diamond Lake today.

I'll be thinking about you guys next week in the 60 degree water. :eyebrow:

Gary:

Sometimes you are just not right!!!!!!

Glad everything went well with your training and you were able to get some good PR on the news! Just wondering how you got elected to snuggle with Annie in the water?????

Stay safe!

Dan

Be old and fake a heart attack.:D After all, she was in my suit!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom