Out of Air at 84 ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think solo diving is an option when I can't find a proper buddy for a dive... so I wouldn't be in that situation :)

Buddy skills are one thing that keeps me diving with DIR inclined divers. After diving with people who actually take buddy skills seriously its hard to go back to the style of diving described by the original poster. A good buddy really opens up the possibilties when diving as compared to always being ultra conservative because you cant count on your buddy.No amount of pony bottles or any other device is potentially as valuable as a good buddy.Its a shame that sloppy buddy skills are SOP so many places.

I realize that DIR divers aren't the only ones who practice good buddy skills but most DIR divers have big bright lights and so are easier to keep track of.:eyebrow:

simbrooks:
I have been known to have a buddy turn away and swim off, as soon as i realised this i swam over to where he was to keep within a reasonable buddy distance. Turns out he saw something and didnt contact me about it. If it were to have happened again i would have had UW "words" with him or called the dive (at least my part of it). Just an example of listening to their bubbles, having an awareness of where they are and of course doing something about it before this kind of thing happens. :wink:

I have not been as eager to follow a wandering Buddy as I should have been, it appears. I have not followed them closely enough when they went off.[ I always signal when I want to veer off ] I see that I should have, irrespective of who's fault it is. Even if they wander off I should go after them and stay closer. I think telling them not to do that again is perhaps the correct way and if it happens again thumb the dive. I have not done that.

I bought a rattle after one dive when the guy was constantly swimming off.He couldln't hear my arms waving at him .:) On another dive something similar happened with a different diver and I was shaking that rattle, telling the guy, stay closer. The DM told me to stop that after I had to do it several times. I should have thumbed the dive.

simbrooks:
Good to have you back Mike, been away? There is a talk on IT's and ITC candidates you might want to look at :wink:

I've been around just a little busy is all.

If you have a persistent fear about your buddy, talk to them on the surface in the pre-dive brief about asking them to signal you if they are going off. Of course this assumes a nice buddy of convenience! Its a two way street though, and even if they decide to scoot, i would do my best to keep up with them (due to them being my redundant air), then do the above, discuss or end the dive. If they did a polaris to the surface i would follow up at a safe rate, probably go past the safety stop to check on them and take a longer stop on the second dive (assuming there was one).

Quarrior:
You can also take some of the expanding air out of your BC to breath from. You now have some extra air you didn't have before. .

I never would have thought of that. This newbie appreciates these hypo's!

simbrooks:
If you have a persistent fear about your buddy, talk to them on the surface in the pre-dive brief about asking them to signal you if they are going off. Of course this assumes a nice buddy of convenience! Its a two way street though, and even if they decide to scoot, i would do my best to keep up with them (due to them being my redundant air), then do the above, discuss or end the dive. If they did a polaris to the surface i would follow up at a safe rate, probably go past the safety stop to check on them and take a longer stop on the second dive (assuming there was one).

I think this is very good advice. I think I do not cover this in a pre-dive chat, and I should. I now see that I should not take ANYTHING for granted and expect that all divers will feel the same responsibility about being a buddy. I see this as something *I* have to take care of in my dive situation.

Back
Top Bottom