Out of Air at 84 ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo:
I never would have thought of that. This newbie appreciates these hypo's!
Its not safest thing to do, at least due to bacteria build up in there, but given that or no air, i would take it. However a word of caution, dont breath back into it, the extra CO2 will knock you out pretty quickly and then you drown anyway.

pilot fish:
I think this is very good advice. I think I do not cover this in a pre-dive chat, and I should. I now see that I should not take ANYTHING for granted and expect that all divers will feel the same responsibility about being a buddy. I see this as something *I* have to take care of in my dive situation.
Two things in here, first i wouldnt have to say it to a buddy i know and have dove with before, only a buddy of convenience. Second - now you are getting the picture, diving is about personal responsibility, yours to yourself and your buddy. If your buddy decides to shoot off deal with it with them, but there is a chance YOU have to be the one to instigate that, by going to them.

This world is moving away from personal responsibility - sad state of affairs, but that is another thread! :wink:

simbrooks:
Its not safest thing to do, at least due to bacteria build up in there, but given that or no air, i would take it. However a word of caution, dont breath back into it, the extra CO2 will knock you out pretty quickly and then you drown anyway.
The bacteria is something a doc can fix on the surface. :D

You're right, definately do not attempt to use it like a rebreather. That is why I said to exhale and then take a bit of air from the bag instead of venting it to control bouyancy.

pilot fish:
The presmise of the question is which way, not why. Pick any reason, error, your fault, their fault, gear fault, fish fault, whatever, do you swim horizontally or vertically?

Prevention is nearly always better than cure but given the possibility that it MIGHT happen you must choose and act.

You can waffle or change your mind. You must pick ONE course of action and execute it to the best of your ability.

In pilot training they give you a situation where you have an engine failure with a choice of two airfields, one you can reach easily but will have to land downwind and the other that would be an upwind landing but you might not reach.
The key is that you choose one quickly and go. Any time spent dithering reduces your chances of a good outcome.

Prevention is still better than OOA at 85'.

novadiver:
You forgot to tell him to except his award!!!
He hasn't earned it...............Yet

OK, You jump out of a plane. I'm not sure why, let's just say you did. And when you're out there, you notice that you don't have a parachute. So do you

a) Try to vector over and land on top of a lower flying airplane, or

b) manuever over and jump on another existing skydiver and hope for the best?

The answer is - don't be an idiot, and don't jump out of planes without the proper gear and training. Just don't get in that situation in the first place.

See the connection I'm trying to make here? THIS Chatterton recommends using your brain and not being a lemming.

Boogie711:
OK, You jump out of a plane. I'm not sure why, let's just say you did. And when you're out there, you notice that you don't have a parachute. So do you

a) Try to vector over and land on top of a lower flying airplane, or

b) manuever over and jump on another existing skydiver and hope for the best?

The answer is - don't be an idiot, and don't jump out of planes without the proper gear and training. Just don't get in that situation in the first place.

See the connection I'm trying to make here?
I wonder if pilot fish realizes that this scenario is as implausible as his "OOA with no diver for 30 feet" scenario is to some divers.

Boogie711:
THIS Chatterton recommends using your brain and not being a lemming.
Do you mean you're not the Chatterton I keep hearing those crazy stories about?! Dang... maybe I've been too hard on ya :wink:

DandyDon:
(This from someone who once thought he was good enough to solo dive - NOT!)
Don,

Does this mean that you have officially given up solo diving as well as same ocean same day types of buddies?

Christian

dwright:
You've been the buddy out of air Don.....so I don't want to hear it :wink:
Yep, t'is true. As I said...
Mostly, I think your buddy skills are weak if you let it happen. If he won't follow you, you follow him. (This from someone who once thought he was good enough to solo dive - NOT!)
After my OOA incident with pony failure, I decided that I was not nearly the hot-shot I'd thought, and started working on buddy skills. Next trip out, I got one who'd hide from me. :11:

It's a different buddy for every trip for me, often for every day, so I am now trying to work on better pony skills and better buddy skills, both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom