Out of Air at 84 ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
No, thank God. It is just something I have wondered about and was curious what other divers might do. I have been on a lot of dives where all of us have gotten spread out, as happens on most dives, or my Buddy has wandered off, or we have just gotten seperated for one reaon or another.

Hmmm ... lemme see, what might I do if I find myself diving with a buddy who can't stay within a kick or two ...

1) I might decide not to go very deep ... say, stay within a range where I know I would have a reasonable chance of reaching the surface if the hit fit the shan.

2) I might decide to pay closer attention to my SPG, and start my ascent with a little extra gas to spare.

3) I might even decide to thumb the dive as soon as I realize that we're going to have issues diving as a team ... after all, it ain't like the dive is worth my life or anything.

Speculation is OK I guess ... but the real answer is don't put yourself into the situation ... you have lots of options in a case like that. Diving is all about using good judgment. You need to understand that not doing so can kill you.

Lots of things in life are like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Kim:
Well - to stay on the safe side and try to prevent such a preventable occurrence - maybe a little work on the buddy skills might be in order.

Sure, but maybe the guy or gal you got teamed up with does not take the Buddy responsibility thing as seriously as you do. Whatever the reason, you are that seperated, for whatever reason, and out of air. So, what would you do?

pilot fish:
Sure, but maybe the guy or gal you got teamed up with does not take the Buddy responsibility thing as seriously as you do. Whatever the reason, you are that seperated, for whatever reason, and out of air. So, what would you do?
Get the mothership to beam me up

Well - if you are asking me directly.........what Bob said.:wink:

I'm wondering what spawned this thread - Did the new SD mag come out today?

Three things already mentioned here can prevent this totally - 1) Buddy Skills, 2) gas management, 3) Sticking to your dive plan

pilot fish:
I think my first instinct would be for the surface and not waste precious seconds going horizontally? It's one thing to speculate about what you would do while you are on the surface but all of the training MIGHT go out the window once you have no air at depth?

IMO, the time it would take you to swim 20-30' to your buddy (as long as there isn't a significant current), is less than it takes to safely do an ESA w/o risking embolism. Personally, I hate hypotheticals like this when the hypothetical would be non-issue with the simple application of better diving practices.

lragsac:
Personally, I hate hypotheticals like this when the hypothetical would be non-issue with the simple application of better diving practices.
Thank you

pilot fish:
I'd sit there think about it for a while, realise the futility of it all and how i got myself into this situation and give up breathing. If i could tether myself to a large rock that might help me not struggle to do something about it :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom