Out of Air in Davao, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More on the story with the leaky BCD....My buddy had left his own kit in Davao as he regularly dives there. When he checked his own BCD,as it leaked....so he got a rental. For the most part of the dive, his BCD was fine but after about 30 minutes, he noticed it was leaking and aborted the dive.
I saw him surface and I was at about 12M with lots of air and still lots of cool things to look at.
I was curious why he aborted but could see him on the surface and thought it was okay to just stay nearby and keep a watch on him. After a bit, I noticed that he was kicking much harder than was necessary (tons of bubbles) and I was going to surface to see what was going on. Just then, I saw the boat arrive and he got out of the water so I did my safety stop and surface.
He told me he was really struggling since his vest was empty and he couldn't re-inflate - even with his mouthpiece.
I asked him why he didn't drop his weight belt.....he said he didn't want to lose it but if he knew I was watching him, he would have dropped it so I could pick it up. He's is a very experienced diver but the lesson there is....drop the friggin belt at the first sign of trouble. He was exhausted by the time the boat showed up.
Also....we stopped using that shop after two day - we did vote with our feet.

As far as I know, there is no requirement that dive guides be DMs or have any training in rescue at all, unless the dive shop that hires them requires it. In the US, I suspect insurance companies set those standards, but outside of the US, I would guess it's much less strict. When we dove in Indonesia, it was made clear to us that the guides were not DMs (although I don't know what that was supposed to mean to me) and that was fine; they were very good guides.

The bottom line, as gets discussed here at all too frequent intervals, is that, as a certified diver, you are the only person who is responsible for deciding whether a given dive falls within your competency, and you are the only person who can decide the execution of the dive.

I have to admit that being caught in very strong current on a shore dive with an oblivious guide would not be a fun situation at all. Sounds like the operator showed some poor judgment on site and time for the dive, unless you could exit at any point. (I've gotten caught in strong current on a shore dive and had to wade several hundred yards to the only exit point -- it's not fun!)

I was curious why he aborted but could see him on the surface and thought it was okay to just stay nearby and keep a watch on him. After a bit, I noticed that he was kicking much harder than was necessary (tons of bubbles) and I was going to surface to see what was going on. Just then, I saw the boat arrive and he got out of the water so I did my safety stop and surface.
He told me he was really struggling since his vest was empty and he couldn't re-inflate - even with his mouthpiece.I asked him why he didn't drop his weight belt.....he said he didn't want to lose it but if he knew I was watching him, he would have dropped it so I could pick it up. He's is a very experienced diver but the lesson there is....drop the friggin belt at the first sign of trouble. He was exhausted by the time the boat showed up.Also....we stopped using that shop after two day - we did vote with our feet.

What, exactly, does it take for someone to realise that pile of lead is less important than their life?

Based on what you've said, he doesn't sound very experienced at all.

In diving as in life, I don't think that the number of dives someone has equals experience (just as the number of years you've been alive doesn't make you wise). I think experience amounts to what you have learned, irrespective of the number of dives you have under your belt, or the number of years you have been on this planet.

Gawd Drafted, when your buddy surfaces, you do too. Did you not know that...??

1. Rental or no rental: Check you gear (it is YOUR LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM), then have your buddy check your gear as you do the same to your buddy's system.
2. Check again before you enter the water - make sure you are the last person that touched your gear before entering the water - especially important on live aboard boats where your gear may be sitting assembled and "ready to go" for you.
3. Do not plan on DM or anyone helping you in a jam. Don't get me wrong, accept help from you buddy or a group member, be a team player, but always have a plan to save yourself. . Low viz, current and all sorts of situations that arise my prevent others from helping you. (that is why I carry a pony bottle and few other emergency items to stack the odds in my favor every time I dive.
4. Plan every dive anticipating things will not go well: my buddy will disappear, I will get lost, the boat will NOT be there to pick me up, the current direction will switch 180 degrees, my reg will freeze up, I will get entangled in something, my inflator valve will malfunction, etc etc. You must have a plan for each scenario. I know what you may be thinking - this guy is crazy and does not have any fun diving. Relax, with a bit of practice, thinking like that will become second nature and WILL NOT SPOIL your vacation. And the very first time it turns out that thanks to this type of approach YOU were able to help someone, you will understand the benefits of this approach. Happy Diving, be safe and have fun.

I like the way you think PSF. I get lax and screw up, learn new ways to save myself, but I try to think like you. My home bud thinks I am anal, but it's only our lives depending on it.

I have seen and incurred problems with deck hands and a skipper turning my air off then open 1/4. Some here say to test breath your reg hard or purge it while watching your spg. DOES NOT SHOW A DIFFERENCE ON MY MK25, so maybe I need a better spg? My home bud and I go for all the way on and ask those who want to be tipped to honor our requests, but then he - who turns a screw driver every day - turned mine all the way off on a boat once. At least I knew before jumping. When possible, we also stop at 15 ft on descent and double check valves, etc - at least the first few days of a trip while he has ear issues anyway.

I have also learned to open my lower connections on my BC to push my tank over enough that I can reach the valve if needed, but them I try to have my pony slung too at all times. I am a wreck looking for a place by nature so I work at it.

I asked the DM for his PADI number so I could log my dive and he said he lost his card "in the 80's" and didn't know his number.

At SSI I have to update my card yearly. If it was a PADI shop you can contact
PADI and tell them what happened. This is stuff they want to know about and stop.
PADI SSI and the others have standards that their shops have to follow for PR and your safety.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom