Out of Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
well:

- that's just how they use them as stages, they drain an Al80 dry and then go onto backgas or onto another Al80 stage.
- they're typically diving with the LDS owner
- we all pump our own gas

What's the point of sucking them dry? I'm guessing it makes nailing a mix easier when you refill? No, that's not it....Of course, if it's a mix that uses He, you wouldn't want to waste it.....

Do tell.

dherbman:
What's the point of sucking them dry? I'm guessing it makes nailing a mix easier when you refill? No, that's not it....Of course, if it's a mix that uses He, you wouldn't want to waste it.....

Do tell.

i'll let you know when i start scootering out 6k and carrying a stage...

I had an interesting experience the other day..interesting in that it caused a pucker I wasn't counting on!

I was DM with a group of Rescue Dive candidates doing their first checkout dives. The instructor had asked me to put part of the group through their paces while handled the others. The dive began with me "falling" off the boat and having the candidates rescue me. After being brought back to the boat, another DM slid off while the group pondered how to get me back in our little outrigger (called a banca here). He became a Missing Diver and the search began. I had two of our candidates accompany me for a little 'fun swim'. They were on my fins like a you know what - watching for any trickery. I was asked to perform an Unconscious Diver Underwater, Cramps, Out of Air, Injured Extremity and Out of Control Ascent. I had to work even harder than ever to put some space between them and me to pull off a couple of these. Since they were good buddies and aware of what was happening, I felt really comfortable kicking hard and hiding behind outcrops while they seached for my bubbles or body. At some point I realized that I was having trouble pulling air through my primary reg. A little water trickled in with the first breath and then my mouth filled. I coughed, but reflex being what it is, I pulled in more water. I gagged and spit the reg out, instinctively grabbing for my Octopus. Before I could get it in my mouth a hand reached out, stuffed another reg in my mouth and we linked in the Roman handshake. Our eyes met and she asked if I was 'Okay'. I replied in kind and she reached out to take her reg back. I grabbed mine to replace hers, signalled 'Trouble' and all of us ascended to our safety stop. At that point, I grabbed my slate and informed them that the last scenario was not part of the testing - pride be damned. They looked puzzled and I was forced to wait three minutes to tell them how proud I was of their composure and ability. At the boat, these candidates (both thirty-something females) were shocked that I wasn't playing around. I put them through a dive debriefing while we waited for the other groups, Instructor and other DM to join us. I was showing them my gear and asking them what could have caused the problems. Both were suggesting possibilities and offering other things that they could/should have done. My Instructor smiled and told me that he had a reason that he put me with those two students. He was pleased to know that despite the problems, I was still able to get them to focus and go through a proper post dive debriefing. We all have stories about how the students behave and react to Scuba situations. I'll take those two new Rescue Divers anywhere, any day.

I carry a backup reg set-up, so I made the switch for the next two dives. We had no further mishaps because these students were like vultures under the sea. They watched each breath, fin movement or glance. Needless to say, it was difficult to enact scenarios that could be more demanding than what we just experienced. Upon arriving back at the shop, we discovered that the diaphragm had folded back on itself and that my every breath made it worse. There's a reason we carry a secondary and I'm one of the only DMs around here that now carries Spare Air. I also check my gear multiple times a year. The price of the service is worth the peace of mind it brings.

Arizona:
Isn't 30M the maximum PADI recreational limit? Could the equipment failed for going beyond its recommended limits?

No.

Regulators and SPG's handle pressure just fine. That's what they're all about. Just think of the pressure they handle every day. Air pressure at standard conditions is 14.7 psi (1 bar). Each 10m/33ft descended adds another bar (or 14.7 psi) in external pressure. That's trivial compared with the 3000 psi (or 200 bar) the equipment is used to dealing with (lots of gear, of course, can handle pressures well in excess of that). 3000 psi is equivalent to a depth of about 2 kilometers. I do not recommend exceeding that depth on open-circuit scuba equipment under any circumstances.:wink:

I actually thought 130 feet (or about 39 meters) was the PADI limit, but I have no PADI certifications. Thus, my equipment is exempt from the PADI scuba police.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom