Out of Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dennis:
It is not a good idea to simulate an OOA by sucking a tank dry. You should never run out of air, so the best thing is to practice not letting it happen. I don't know what you hope to gain by doing it.

you can always do it with a pony/deco/stage bottle.

True Lamont but I don't see the point, just for fun I guess.

lamont:
you can always do it with a pony/deco/stage bottle.

That would be a safer alternative, but will still require a visual.

You should laways assume a possibility of gauge error up to 300 psi. Beyond that if you calc. your rock bottom and dive your plan assuming you had a gas plan an ooa situation is less likely. If you dont know how to figure your sac rate, rock bottom and make a gas plan maybe you should not be diving so deep.

dherbman:
That would be a safer alternative, but will still require a visual.

techdivers around here do this routinely and don't run out and get a VIP right afterwards...

if you hit your purge after you breathe it down you might get saltwater in the LP hose back to the first stage, but it shouldn't get into the tank...

lamont:
techdivers around here do this routinely and don't run out and get a VIP right afterwards...

if you hit your purge after you breathe it down you might get saltwater in the LP hose back to the first stage, but it shouldn't get into the tank...

I doubt that they are getting fills at the LDS. It's not optional if you bring it to a shop for a fill. Even if it was someone I know and like, I'd want to pop the valve and have a look.

well:

- that's just how they use them as stages, they drain an Al80 dry and then go onto backgas or onto another Al80 stage.
- they're typically diving with the LDS owner
- we all pump our own gas

I've dived a few times, not that many compared to many here but more than my next door neighbor. It would've surprised me if I had run out of air, a lot, big surprise. I think you did great Pietfer..........you're alive.

Back
Top Bottom