Out of control OW student

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Would like your advise on what to do with an out of control acquaintance. In order to meet the minimum student requirements I asked a neighbor to take the class with me. Last night she got very upset in the mask removing exercise. She was cursing and telling the instructor that she was not doing it again and she is ready to quit. She has these immature outbursts often. The instructor ignored her behavior. I could tell that he was not happy with her conduct. She performs very well in the classroom, applying the skills is another story. At first her outbursts of profanity used to embarrass me. Now, I ignore her and realize that her conduct is not a reflection of myself. Now, our instructor is to nice! I am a corporate instructor and if a student acts as she did I would tell her to get BENT and make her leave the class. Should I handle the situation or just leave the issue to be handled by the instructor? It is ridiculus! She wastes valuable class time. She will lie and said she did a skill when she didn't of course the instructor calls her on it yet he encounters an argument and attitude from her. I loaned her the money for her equipment and class. At this point the money is not an issue I will just get the equipment back that I purchased and call it even to get rid of her. Of course after all is said and done last night she feels more confident in herself and will not quit! I know there will be another incident.

Just pretend that you don't know her. LOL

goofystan:
Would like your advise on what to do with an out of control acquaintance. In order to meet the minimum student requirements I asked a neighbor to take the class with me. Last night she got very upset in the mask removing exercise. She was cursing and telling the instructor that she was not doing it again and she is ready to quit. She has these immature outbursts often. The instructor ignored her behavior. I could tell that he was not happy with her conduct.

As an instructor I would not tolerate that kind of behavior and her offer to quit would have been taken seriously. Her participation in that class would have ended then and there.

You are a corporate instructor so you already know the answer to your own question.

The instructor is a professional and will deal with the issue in the way that is best for him. I suggest letting him do his job. With your credentials you may decide to offer constructive critque AFTER the course is done - or you may not.

Her attitude and actions is not a reflection on you. She is obviously stressed and doesn't need her friend to rub her nose in it. Relax, learn to dive, ask questions and remember - no one talks with a reg in thier mouth.....

she sounds like a prime candidate for someone who at some point is going to get spooked and shoot to the surface....or rip your reg out of your mouth if she gets a little water in hers. I don't think you should worry about her classroom behavior though, its the instructor's call on what to do. Ultimately its the instructor's decision on whether or not she's ready.

That is the instructors call to pull her aside privately and chat about her conduct in class as well as to accurately give her feedback on her performance and ability to finish the cert process. Also the instructor's and LDS owners call as to wether to keep her or boot her. Tough to say but in 10 years I have come across that problem a few times. I felt bad about the 1st student I had to kick out of class, but it was for their own good. The life your instructor friend saves just might be her's but not letting her demeanor bully him into passing her.

I am unsure of all the related factors, but from what you describe this student is NOT ready to dive. Maturity and handling different circumstances IS required of any diving student and/or diver.

Why do you lend this person your hard earned money in the first place? If her actions in class are a reflection of anything, you ought to reconsider your relationship with this person. Nothing worse than having a money issue between 'friends' let alone acquaintances.

This person ought to be paying and taking the classes on their own accord.

The instructor sounds like a numb-skull if he/she tolerates this kind of childish behavior.

Just my 02.

I'm not a scuba instructor (yet), but I am a dance and a flight instructor. From that standpoint I can tell you that instructors, generally, do not like to fail students, or tell students they need to take the proverbial "hike." I would suggest you consult with your instructor before you take the first approach in discouraging your neighbor to discontinue scuba training. Disruptive behavior, although not in good taste, is a source of discredit to the learning process and your instructor should have a good handle on it; I wouldn't tolerate it, as it is also a discredit to my professional abilities as an instructor.

If it happens that she gets certified, DO NOT DIVE WITH HER!!!!!

I know someone who behaves just like that (sans profanity) when she is scared. Your friend is probably just scared to death, :11: and this is her way of dealing with it.
I feel for her, and your instructor's tolerance is probably due to his insight into and compassion with her real issue: fear. However, if this is how she behaves in the pool under stress, I'd hate to be buddied with her in the OW when things really go sideways.
IMHO Let the professional (instructor) deal with it.

Hi,

I would hope that the instructor will choose to pass or fail her on her ability to dive safely. I would expect that the instructor will choose to allow her to stay in the class based on his ability to still teach the other students. These are his problems, and they are considerable.

It sounds to me like your neighbor is stressed and her outbursts are her way of dealing with this stress, the instructor may feel that he is able to manage the situation to his satisfaction, but as others have said that is the instructors problem. It would seem that the instructor is keeping a close eye on her, as you have stated that she says that she has done a particular skill but the instructor knows she has not and calls her on it.

The money thing is another issue. It sounds to me like you are financially able to write it of as a loss if you need to and are willing to take a partial loss if things go a little better. Of course it would be best if you suffer no loss but that might not be the case. I percieve that you have already lost some respect for your neighbor as a person, so chasing her for the money might not be worth your effort. There comes a time when it is better to just walk away and abandon somthing rather than invest more time and effort in a long difficult struggle. It sounds to me like you are able to accept this as a possible outcome from this experience.

If you neighbor does get certified remember her actions in the class. Is this someone YOU want to be paired with when her mask gets knocked off during a dive? Things really do happen underwater, a mask getting knocked off or kicked and flooded can and will happen to most divers at least once in their diving future. It can be a really minor annoyance that is easily resolved, or if improperly handeled it can turn into a major incident with serious ramifications. Good training will keep the situation in control, but training can only go so far. A diver who abandons their training and chooses to panic is a hazard to themselves and any diver near them.

When I got certified the flooded mask remaining on my face drill was the single toughest problem I faced. It still makes me uncomfortable, but my solution is to force myself to resolve this by flooding my mask intentionally from time to time and dealing with the problem, rather than pretending it will never happen to me. Unfortunately your neighbor will probably never be able to bring herself to deal with her demons in this way, she will probably just ignore the issue until it happens for real sometime.

I wish you luck, I fear you will need some,

Mark Vlahos

Back
Top Bottom