out-of-shape divers doing things like diving the doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humanbeing

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Every time I see pictures of "hardcore" North Atlantic deep wreck divers, I notice that many of them are waaaaaaaaaay out of shape.

HOW DOES THIS WORK??

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY??

Please, if you are a person who fits the above description, give me some insight.

Seals have blubber.

Every time I see pictures of "hardcore" North Atlantic deep wreck divers, I notice that many of them are waaaaaaaaaay out of shape.

HOW DOES THIS WORK??

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY??

Please, if you are a person who fits the above description, give me some insight.

Here is a little light reading for you :D. By the way, if you want to discuss Smoking in Scuba Diving then we can accommodate your needs as well.

Fortunately, the human body is very 'giving & forgiving'---you don't have to be a perfect human specimen to accomplish different things.......Think about how 350+ pound humans, completely out of shape with HTN & DM, live to be 75+ years old, IMO amazing sometimes.............

George Carlin could explain it in a skit about mistaking experienced confidence for hubris.

HOW DOES THIS WORK??

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY??

Well, I haven't done the Doria yet but I am crazy.

It works like this: you suit up & gear up, you jump in, you deflate the BC and start to sink...

Seals have blubber.

But humans do not. Humans have fat, which doesn't help.

OP, it just goes to show that diving can be done with only a mild amount of physical exertion. :idk:

Now, your underlying point is probably that (all other things being equal) a person that's in better physical condition is more capable of handling mental stress and dealing with physical situations that might arise if the dive goes bad.

Not to mention that decreasing your circumference would generally be an advantage to any wreck or cave diver, lol.

But when it's said and done, it doesn't take much physical conditioning or strength to plop in the water, sink, float around, kick a few times and unsink.

How can you judge a person's physical condition by looking at their shape in a video? Guess you are psychic. I've had older guys working for me who looked like the Cable Guy+ who could work circles around some of the younger, more fit-looking workers on the job and had fewer health problems. OK, I'd agree that Freddie May might not be a good candidate for a deep wreck or cave dive but that IS obvious. Like the old ax says: "You can't judge a book by it's cover."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom