out-of-shape divers doing things like diving the doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have several "fit" friends who have had heart attacks and bypass surgerys.
You can't judge a book by it's cover.

It is amazing how so many people want to die healthy.................lol

Every time I see pictures of "hardcore" North Atlantic deep wreck divers, I notice that many of them are waaaaaaaaaay out of shape.

HOW DOES THIS WORK??

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY??

Please, if you are a person who fits the above description, give me some insight.

The most important factor in diving is the gray matter between your ears. Knowledge, experience and common sense far outweigh (pun intended) physical fitness and gear choices. Not that you can ignore the latter, they can still bite you in the butt. Give your self a few hundred more dives and it will be clear.

You also need to know that many of thses guys are a helluva lot more fit than they look. As others have stated there are people with spare tires who could work all day long digging ditches and still have enough stamina and be fit enough to go out all night and do things that would kill some 25 yr old gym rat. Many of these guys who dive the Doria and other deep wrecks and caves know what areas they need to be fit in and concentrate on those. Some of those have been diving her since the 70's. I've met Gary Gentile, Richie Kohler, John Chatterton, Bernie Chowdhury, and Chris Loughery. In person they don't look like supermen- sorry John- but they have the knowledge and experience to do these dives and do them safely. I'd choose any one of them over any superfit instructor just out of one of the puppy mills to do that dive or any other dive for that matter.

Every time I see pictures of "hardcore" North Atlantic deep wreck divers, I notice that many of them are waaaaaaaaaay out of shape.

HOW DOES THIS WORK??

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY??

Please, if you are a person who fits the above description, give me some insight.

I don't fit the above description, but here's the insight... Diving is a skill. Sure, being in shape will make it easier, but in diving, experience and training trumps strength and fitness. That's how it works.

On the other hand, fitness helps too. As I've increased my level of fitness, I can carry my gear easier and my air consumption has gone down.

Finally, they're not crazy. They're highly trained and experienced.

Ron

There is a difference between working hard and working smart, smart is always easier.

Most of the time diving, even rather extreme diving, requires neither fitness nor brains. When things start to go wrong, brains help. When thing continue to go wrong brains and fitness help.

I would like to have someone who knows what they are talking about define what is fit for diving, and what is not. I am a beer consumer that does 60 minutes of very vigorous work outs 4 times a week with a trainer. Still fat, but would be willing to bet I can out sprint, squat, or push up most on this board, including the skinny guys. Am I fat? Yes. Am I strong and quick, yes. Do I have endurance. Depends on your definition, my 5K times will not set the world on fire. But thats my question, does one need to be a tri-athelete to dive, uh, no. But what is actually needed?

I would like to have someone who knows what they are talking about define what is fit for diving, and what is not. I am a beer consumer that does 60 minutes of very vigorous work outs 4 times a week with a trainer. Still fat, but would be willing to bet I can out sprint, squat, or push up most on this board, including the skinny guys. Am I fat? Yes. Am I strong and quick, yes. Do I have endurance. Depends on your definition, my 5K times will not set the world on fire. But thats my question, does one need to be a tri-athelete to dive, uh, no. But what is actually needed?

What is your age and have you ever had a complete cardiovascular examination in order to determine the existence of heart disease?

Back
Top Bottom