out-of-shape divers doing things like diving the doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lost .2 lbs since I last posted on this thread so all you naysayers just zip it right up.

Look behind you, I think you'll be able to find it.

All this said, my refound love for scuba, has gotten me to quit smoking, and start working out so that I can be better at it. Still a fat ass, but a strong fat ass that is heading the right direction. While I do think certain peoples opinions are a bit off base, knowing the risks has got me making better choices in my life for the love of the activity.

I lost .2 lbs since I last posted on this thread so all you naysayers just zip it right up.

It's OK doc ... there's plenty more where that came from ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Is this an important topic? Yes and it warrants discussion. I don't believe verbally persecuting people who are overweight accomplishes anything. Wouldn't it be nice is we could all just read the OP's post, and say, "Ya know, he's right. I'm going to lose 30 lbs starting today". Human beings don't work that way. People of all shapes, sizes, age, color, religion, sex, national origin are at risk, just simply by choosing this sport, or driving a car on the freeway.

Does it help if you exersize? Of course. But berating humans for being "human" isn't the answer. Remember, just because your BMI is 23, doesn't automatically give you a free pass when the sh*t hits the fan at 70ft.

OP, compassion goes along way. Get some.

Is this an important topic? Yes and it warrants discussion. I don't believe verbally persecuting people who are overweight accomplishes anything. Wouldn't it be nice is we could all just read the OP's post, and say, "Ya know, he's right. I'm going to lose 30 lbs starting today". Human beings don't work that way. People of all shapes, sizes, age, color, religion, sex, national origin are at risk, just simply by choosing this sport, or driving a car on the freeway.

Does it help if you exersize? Of course. But berating humans for being "human" isn't the answer. Remember, just because your BMI is 23, doesn't automatically give you a free pass when the sh*t hits the fan at 70ft.

OP, compassion goes along way. Get some.

This is ScubaBoard ... everybody gets bashed by somebody ... why should us fat folks get a free pass?

Personally I'd really rather read this topic than yet another "PADI sucks" thread ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Every time I see pictures of "hardcore" North Atlantic deep wreck divers, I notice that many of them are waaaaaaaaaay out of shape.

HOW DOES THIS WORK??

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY??

Please, if you are a person who fits the above description, give me some insight.

If you are accustomed to diving in a Unisuit or drysuit with 400G underwear and yanking yourself down 400' of granny line and anchor line in a ripping current you are good to go. Same on the way back up and doing deco in those conditions.

Have a good grip and don't lose dexterity or strength in heavy gloves. Know the value of a jon-line and a Garvin hook.

If you are lucky then there is no current and 25' of viz. If not you'll just sit there waiting for the current or waves to die down or just never leave the shore waiting for the weather.

-matt

Personally I'd really rather read this topic than yet another "PADI sucks" thread ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Or spare air, split fins, pony bottles, religion, politics,... I'm sure there's more.

All I was trying to say was that if the only variable is fatness, the less fat diver is better off all around unless the metric is buoyancy while naked, then the fatter diver wins.

The thoughts that one doesn't need skill if they're fit, or one doesn't need fitness if they're skilled are both equally ridiculous. They are both important. Lack of skill will affect you immediately, lack of fitness is a little more subtle. It's like narcosis or oxtox, maybe you dive to 200+ ft on air regularly and don't get narced, or you dive to 1.6+ ppo2 and don't die you are still at a higher risk for narcosis or oxtox by doing that. It's the same with being overweight. You may dive all the time and feel fine, but the fact (not opinion, not observation, not anecdotal evidence, but scientifically proven through long term studies) is that by being overweight you are putting yourself at a higher risk for heart disease. Diving can put a strain on your cardiovascular system in many situations, a strain that might be enough to push your long-overworked heart past it's tipping point. Losing the weight will improve nearly every facet of your life.

I'll never berate somebody for being fat, I was overweight for much of my adult life. All I try to do is point out the reasons to get in shape.

the less fat diver is better off all around unless the metric is buoyancy while naked, then the fatter diver wins.
Or hours until death from hypothermia--the fat guy has an edge there too.

All I try to do is point out the reasons to get in shape.

Not to pick on you in particular... But as someone who's been "horizontally challenged" for most of his life... Save it. We've heard it many times before.

Back
Top Bottom