Question Outer Banks diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McGriffin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be visiting the Outer Banks in July, staying in Duck. I’ve never been there before and am looking for any advice or recommendations on diving around there. Anyone have experience diving around there? Are there any good shore dives nearby? Recommended dive shops? What is the visibility like? Average water temps in July? Are there any recommended charters that leave from that area? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

Up close to Duck the only shop around is Roanoke Island Dive Shop. They will get you to the U-85 if you're looking for boat dives, otherwise they can provide info on a few of the shore dives in area.

Up close to Duck the only shop around is Roanoke Island Dive Shop. They will get you to the U-85 if you're looking for boat dives, otherwise they can provide info on a few of the shore dives in area.
shore dives in nc?? tell me more!

That part of Outer banks (KDH/Kitty Hawk area specifically) there are several wrecks not far from shore. Look up the triangle wrecks. I believe one ship ran ashore and then decades later the second ship ran into the first... Fun dives, short swim from shore, lots of wildlife to view. Not sure about others around there but I am sure they exist. Down in Wilmington area there is a Civil War blockade runner you can get to from shore as well, I'd really like to get to that one day.

That part of Outer banks (KDH/Kitty Hawk area specifically) there are several wrecks not far from shore. Look up the triangle wrecks. I believe one ship ran ashore and then decades later the second ship ran into the first... Fun dives, short swim from shore, lots of wildlife to view. Not sure about others around there but I am sure they exist. Down in Wilmington area there is a Civil War blockade runner you can get to from shore as well, I'd really like to get to that one day.
@AustinV have you gone diving with Roanoke Island? I'm going to the OBX next week and can walk to 2nd Street where the Triangle Wrecks are located. Interested in hearing people's experiences with the dive or the OP.

@AustinV have you gone diving with Roanoke Island? I'm going to the OBX next week and can walk to 2nd Street where the Triangle Wrecks are located. Interested in hearing people's experiences with the dive or the OP.

I have dived with them quite a few times in years past and also have done certifications with them. I was lucky enough to do some of my AOW checkout dives on the U-85. That's a great dive I would encourage you to target if you end up going out with them.

I have been going to the Outer Banks for 20+ years. I used to go diving through a now defunct shop in Kitty Hawk when staying in the Duck area. A couple time I did the long drive to Hatteras. The difference between diving out of the two locations is huge. Kitty Hawk is still the Labrador Current - cool, green, murky. Hatteras is the Gulf Stream - warm, blue, clear. But getting that far south is a long drive and there aren't many (if any) open boats. The couple I saw only ran on the weekends and were mostly charters.

All that being said, I had a lot of fun diving out of both locations. It is just important to understand the conditions and plan accordingly.

I have been going to the Outer Banks for 20+ years. I used to go diving through a now defunct shop in Kitty Hawk when staying in the Duck area. A couple time I did the long drive to Hatteras. The difference between diving out of the two locations is huge. Kitty Hawk is still the Labrador Current - cool, green, murky. Hatteras is the Gulf Stream - warm, blue, clear. But getting that far south is a long drive and there aren't many (if any) open boats. The couple I saw only ran on the weekends and were mostly charters.

All that being said, I had a lot of fun diving out of both locations. It is just important to understand the conditions and plan accordingly.
Outer Banks Dive Center? The R/V Go-Between?

I have dived with them quite a few times in years past and also have done certifications with them. I was lucky enough to do some of my AOW checkout dives on the U-85. That's a great dive I would encourage you to target if you end up going out with them.
Thanks for the insight. I think my son and I are just going to do a shore dive next week. But the wreck diving is definitely in our future.

Thanks for the insight. I think my son and I are just going to do a shore dive next week. But the wreck diving is definitely in our future.
Have fun, the shore dives are a great experience and a fun intro to diving if your son is a newer diver!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom