over or under?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
This is probably a silly question -

but when using a hood, do you prefer to place your mask strap over the hood, or under it?

I'm in the process of growing out my hair and it's at the really irritating stage where it's too short to pull back into a ponytail, but is long enough to wave annoyingly in front of my face while diving.

I purchased a stretchy lycra hood to hold my hair "in place" - but was wondering if I put the the mask strap over the hood, would it keep slipping down my head (too slippery).

chepar once bubbled...
....I purchased a stretchy lycra hood to hold my hair "in place" - but was wondering if I put the the mask strap over the hood, would it keep slipping down my head (too slippery).

Depends on what your mask strap is made of. If you use a neoprene slap strap, it could slip on the slicky lycra. But if you use one of the silicone/rubber straps that came with your mask, it'll grip the lycra the same way it does your hiar that you hate!

If you're only using the hood to control your hair, I'd put my mask on first so it could help hold the hair in place and you wouldn't have to worry about your strap slipping.

I have worn a hood through shoulder-length hair, short hair, and lots in between. Right now I have short hair, but still dive with a dive beanie or a hood if the water temp requires it.

In all instances I have worn the mask OVER the hood. If the hood is one that comes in close the the face, you will also find it useful to tuck the skirt of the mask into the hood so that the seal remains tight, thus preventing leaking.

Just my opinion,

~SubMariner~

And no, a neoprene strap will not slip easily on a neoprene hood surface. I don't like the feeling of water flowing around my ears ( I feel naked!) so I am rarely hoodless, even in warmer waters. The trick is making sure that the mask seal is free of hair and seals against the face under the hood.

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
I don't like the feeling of water flowing around my ears ( I feel naked!) so I am rarely hoodless, even in warmer waters.

I HATE hoods. As soon as the water is warm enough its gone (unless I am diving in yukie stuff). Did I mention that I HATE hoods.

Chepar: When I first started diving I had hair down to my shoulders (yeah - big hippy). I hated wearing a hood - but you do what you gotta do...

On question I have in respect to wearing your mask UNDER the hood. Think Safety. IF your mask becomes dislodged ( a nice fin kick form buddy) putting it back on is going to be a serious pain in the ass...

you'll have to remove the hood, replace the mask and then the hood.

I've never actually seen someone wear it under the hood.

Willer

(on a side note - great forum. sometime I have female diver ask me questions that I really can't answer - have found a few solutions in this forum)

I wear my mask over my hood. I have a neoprene strap, but I've never had any problems with it slipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom