overbreathing a reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
I really think I could get that overbreathing feeling with any scuba regulator. It's more a matter of what you are trying to do than a regulator quality thing. I've gotten stupid and gone off trying to outswim a turtle. I turned him but ended up winded enough that even my well tuned Mk20/G500 didn't feel like it was delivering enough gas. But the cure is fairly simple: stop, relax, and breath deeply. It may be uncomfortable for a minute or so but if you don't panic, the overbreathing feeling will pass.

Perhaps we are saying the same thing but with a somewhat different concept of what "overbreathing" means. I agree that a properly functioning regulator will deliver enough gas to sustain you.

Correct. A CO2 hit makes your breathing rapid and shalow, so extremely inefficient. I had to force my self to breath deeply. If I hadn't done that, the situation could escallated quickly. A bailout bottle (7 liters - 50 cuft?) doesn't last very long at a high breathing rate at 150 feet. And I had a deco obligation of over 30 minutes.

Thanks for all the responses.
I wish I knew if it was a (c02) hit, the reg, tank, or me. All I know is that the second dive was with a different reg, new tank, and similar dive profile and I didn't have any problems. Matter of fact it was a great relaxed dive, even though approx. 30 minutes earlier on dive #1 I thought I was toast. That is 1 feeling I hope to never experience again.
Regards,
Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom