Overbreathing the scrubber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but in a good horizontal position, the WOB on any unit is fine. And you will not find me in anything but that while in a cave.

Really? So how do you drop into Peacock 1? Or drop down into Jackson Blue at the back of the cavern?

Really? So how do you drop into Peacock 1? Or drop down into Jackson Blue at the back of the cavern?
That's what I was thinking.....sounds like a great argument for staying on OC........and going sidemount!

Anyone who's actually done the dives will know that there are MANY times you stand on your head or go sideways in cave diving. Even dropping down into Little River before the tie off at the gold line. Or dropping into lower Orange Grove. And that hole opens at 100ft or so.

No comment on the sidemount stuff! :)

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but in a good horizontal position, the WOB on any unit is fine. And you will not find me in anything but that while in a cave.

WOB is even OK in a vertical position (for the Jersey guys :D )

The positions where the WOB can sometimes become an issue, is when you're upside down in a head down attitude. This I discovered goofing off on some reef dives.
So what caves are you diving that you never have to break horizontal trim?:confused:
I think the numbers on WOB machines are meaningless but there are many real world aspects to WOB and I agrre with Perrone on this one. The meg does breath well. I can tell the difference, sometimes it just takes an hour or so of steady swimming to really tell.

wow, this thread went from a very courteous exchange of information to ' I say, you say' in a matter of 7 posts.....

I am going to hug my meg now

OK everyone, settle down. I think you are all reading a bit too much into the "proper trim" comment. OK I digress, I have gone head up and head down while in a cave, but never inverted, (which is what I meant by upside down) and I guarantee none of you have either.

Over the shoulder CL's will provide excellent WOB in all positions except, when you are inverted (on your back) AND head down. Clear enough? Name 1 time you have been in a cave like that.

And wedivebc, again, I respectfully disagree with that statement.

What is a byproduct of CO2 scrubbers? Heat and moisture. What happens to wet sorb? It expands, making the air passages smaller, and - increasing WOB.

OK everyone, settle down. I think you are all reading a bit too much into the "proper trim" comment. OK I digress, I have gone head up and head down while in a cave, but never inverted, (which is what I meant by upside down) and I guarantee none of you have either.

Over the shoulder CL's will provide excellent WOB in all positions except, when you are inverted (on your back) AND head down. Clear enough? Name 1 time you have been in a cave like that.

And wedivebc, again, I respectfully disagree with that statement.

What is a byproduct of CO2 scrubbers? Heat and moisture. What happens to wet sorb? It expands, making the air passages smaller, and - increasing WOB.

So Tony, I see that you are causing problems in a nice and peaceful thread again.

Are you trying to say that no one has ever been on their back and head down in a cave? Do you remember the lost line drills? My Optima breathed fine even then (thankfully I wasn't using my Dolphin).

Better be careful with those guarantees...

Name 1 time you have been in a cave like that.

1. Cavern class (Devil's Ear)
2. Rebreather class (instructor wanted to make a point of how well the Meg breathes even inverted, unlike some other units)
3. Fooling around in Ginnie Ballroom
4. Fooling around in Morrison Cavern
5. Fooling around in Jackson Blue.

You never play spiderman? :eyebrow:

wow, this thread went from a very courteous exchange of information to ' I say, you say' in a matter of 7 posts.....
Hey the thread finally got interesting!

I suppose we could talk about masks on foreheads, nitrox, and where to stay in Key Largo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom