Overfilling and life expectancy. (LP Tanks)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nitroxfox I pp blend for years with no problems, the only thing I do not pp blend is my single malt scotch.

Amusing and so much has gone on with this stuff, the CG now allows help for fuel and not penalized for running charter.

I would say you must sign something for your trimix fills, I thought to get certified so to obtain on locations away from home, but so far have not been interested, I share a fill station in michigan for the deep wrecks, and I really don't dive there much and its totally free for me(seems every time I go there is a recovery to do) or I bring back more money than went with.

As For DM guides, that is from dive shop, if you want a guide you hire and pay his charter fee. I always understood this and the buddy thing is so grey that I make it understood I am solo diving. My Wife was the only dive buddy I ever had.

I am surprised that not that many people are smart enough to use the OSHA to there benefit and make an L&I claim on scuba shops and charter boats. The L&I claims are way up right now cause of low employment and they are making it so easy to win a claim, cause there bank account is fuller than unemployment and other free monies.

Now in this thread your talking pounding in a few extra psi in the tanks, and how long will the tank last, well apparently until a vis fails or a hydro. So only of a known tank blown up from over filling will the rules apply, maybe an accident transporting tanks, but unless stopped by dot and checked that is impossible to tell how much psi in the tank.

superlyte and wookie ,
please provide facts with your statements as you have proven in the past (in another thread )to state wishful thinking at best regarding regulations and legislation

superlyte and wookie ,
please provide facts with your statements as you have proven in the past (in another thread )to state wishful thinking at best regarding regulations and legislation
Which statement?

Which statement?
Thanks to Capt Frank Wasson who correctly pointed out that it is no longer a Florida law for facilities to have their gas tested. Of course it is still an industry standard.

Jim​

last time i checked 2012 is more recent than 2011 ,
but i digress - show us the paperwork you claim to have regarding osha and uscg giving you exemption from commercial diving requirements

As I said, it will have to wait until I get back to the boat.

Gentlemen,
Federal Law still trumps FL law if they change the air testing standard. One would still be required to test air at 6 month intervals.

A to Z Index | En Español | Contact Us | FAQs | About OSHA

OSHA
Newsletter RSS Feeds
printpage.png
Print This Page Text Size

• Part Number:1910
• Part Title:Occupational Safety and Health Standards
• Subpart:T
• Subpart Title:Commercial Diving Operations
• Standard Number:1910.430
• Title:Equipment.

1910.430(a)
General.
1910.430(a)(1)
All employers shall comply with the following requirements, unless otherwise specified.
1910.430(a)(2)
Each equipment modification, repair, test, calibration or maintenance service shall be recorded by means of a tagging or logging system, and include the date and nature of work performed, and the name or initials of the person performing the work.
1910.430(b)
Air compressor system.
1910.430(b)(1)
Compressors used to supply air to the diver shall be equipped with a volume tank with a check valve on the inlet side, a pressure gauge, a relief valve, and a drain valve.
1910.430(b)(2)
Air compressor intakes shall be located away from areas containing exhaust or other contaminants.
1910.430(b)(3)
Respirable air supplied to a diver shall not contain:
1910.430(b)(3)(i)
A level of carbon monoxide (CO) greater than 20 p/m;
1910.430(b)(3)(ii)
A level of carbon dioxide (CO(2)) greater than 1,000 p/m;
..1910.430(b)(3)(iii)
1910.430(b)(3)(iii)
A level of oil mist greater than 5 milligrams per cubic meter; or
1910.430(b)(3)(iv)
A noxious or pronounced odor.
1910.430(b)(4)
The output of air compressor systems shall be tested for air purity every 6 months by means of samples taken at the connection to the distribution system, except that non-oil lubricated compressors need not be tested for oil mist.

In FL it is now law to test quarterly. Even if the bill passes, which it has not as of this date, if you are a business, you will still have to comply with Federal Law. Respirable air needs to be tested. That applies to SCBAs and SCUBA. Scuba air is cleaner as it is used at depth. It is at least Grade E and not Grade D. Contaminant levels acceptable for terrestrial breathing air could possibly cause you to lose consciousness at depth as the PCO(carbon monoxide) increases.
If you are not a business and using it for your own ends, it is on you. However, if you are a dive shop or charter business, you will still have to test, just not as often.

That being said, I would hope your compressor was well below the 20ppm allowed if you are using the air. If not, you will want to use a filter with hopcalite to convert the CO. Also, these are American standards. The BS and EU and UN standards all are more stringent that this standard of air. They allow less contaminants in the air .

We were discussing cylinders so I attach the requirements for them which are found in the same regulation.
1910.430(e)
Compressed gas cylinders. Compressed gas cylinders shall:
1910.430(e)(1)
Be designed, constructed and maintained in accordance with the applicable provisions of 29 CFR 1910.101 and 1910.169 through 1910.171.
1910.430(e)(2)
Be stored in a ventilated area and protected from excessive heat;
1910.430(e)(3)
Be secured from falling; and
..1910.430(e)(4)
1910.430(e)(4)
Have shut-off valves recessed into the cylinder or protected by a cap, except when in use or manifolded, or when used for SCUBA diving.

If one is maintaining a cylinder according to 1910.101, you will be required to clean that cylinder when it contains an oxidizing gas above 23.5% O2.

Compressed gases (general requirements). - 1910.101

Per the previously referenced interpretation from the DOT, one is required to clean the cylinder at 23.5% in accordance with 49CFR173.302(b)

I do not make these laws, I am just aware of them. It is up to you to follow them or not. I recommend you always follow as it can be costly not to abide by the law.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom