Overfilling LP Steel Tanks -- How bad is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AceszHigh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I live in Florida & I've noticed my LDS routinely overfills tanks...I wanna buy something like an LP80/85 to be overfilled. My question is..how bad/dangerous is it really to do this?

So I live in Florida & I've noticed my LDS routinely overfills tanks...I wanna buy something like an LP80/85 to be overfilled. My question is..how bad/dangerous is it really to do this?

I own three sets of double Faber 85s and have routinely filled them to 33-3500 without issues. One set just passed their first hydro and the data sheet said they tested at <2% (with 10% as the failing threshold).

a dive shop owner i know in cave country told me she's seen tanks she's sold come around for two decades for hydros after repeated cave fills (i.e. overfills) and still pass hydro with no problems

her experience is echoed by others

overfilling is not a problem

Wouldn't know . . . I'm not an engineer educated in the disciplines of metalurgy, metal casting and structural engineering.

Therefore I choose to abide by the manufacturer's specifications.

The tachometer in my automobile indicates that the "red line" is at seven thousand rpm, but I elected no to exceede it because I don't know how long at that range the engine will stay intact.

But, I suppose one could make one's decision based upon the number of occurrences of tanks that have exploded due to surpassing the rated pressure limits.

the K

I have to agree with The Kraken. Rules are put in place for a reason. How often and how far you are willing to push the limits? Sure, I have overfilled a tank and not suffered any consequences for it. Best believe that I corrected the situation (compressor adjustment) so that it would not happen again.

We lost a diver(free) last week to Shallow Water Blackout because he decided to push his limits. (Before anyone flames or complains that he should have had a spotter, he did. He neglected to tell anyone he was going back down.)

Be safe. :wink:

AcesZHigh - When you decide to exceed the designed limits of the tank, you should accept the consequences. Even if folks at this site do not list them. For example, the burst disk may fail, the tank may fail hydro, the tank may fail. etc. If you keep speeding, you run the risk of crashing the car. You have to decide how far you want to push the limits.

However, as you have seen. Folks regularly overfill steel tanks without issues. I understand the only risk is the tank may fail hydro earlier than usual.

I have read if you push the tank over 3500, you may be stressing the regulator. Some more food for thought. Maybe someone who services regulators could speak to that.

Rules are for fools. But they are a necessary substitute for knowledge and understanding. You just have to work with whatever resources you have.

Reminds me of the guy who follows speed limits exactly and then is amazed when so many drivers pass him by.

I think one reason to get a LP tank would be because the boats can't fill your HP tank ... but, my HP 100 is the same size as that LP80 and holds about the same amount of air at 3000psi, and 100cf at 3442psi ... sorta like a legal overfill isn't it :wink:

Rules are general guidelines, not black and white concepts, that need to be tempered with experience and common sense.

For example, I know from experience with my car that I can go around a curve at twice the speed posted on the little yellow caution sign. In some cases it makes sence to do that as, for exmaple, the merge into traffic from an on-ramp is much easier as my speed matches the traffic speed much better and less of an interval is needed. At the other extreme, prudence, experience and common sense also dictate that on ice, I may not be able to hold even the conservative speed posted on the caution sign on the same on-ramp.

The same pretty much applies to tank filling - rules are one thing, prudence, experience and common sense are something else and are far more important.

you'll never catch me breaking thirds.

or heading down a cave without a continous line to the surface

ever

overfilling tanks ... the evidence is overwhelming i'll be ok ... I can live with the 'risk'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom