Overnight stop - Cancun on the way to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Hipkiss

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

After some good advice please. We're (me , wife, 15 yo son) heading on over from the UK to initially Cozumel. We land in Cancun airport at around 15:30 and then we're booked in a condo on Coz from 15:00 the next day (all happening middle of next month .. i.e. July).

The question is where to stay the night that we arrive? Would you maybe stay close to the airport, Puerto Morelos, somewhere near the port in PDC or somewhere entirely different? Obviously we're after an easy transfer either prebooked or via a taxi from the airport ... driving won't be an option as I suspect I will maybe try the odd alcoholic beverage on board :D

If it matters we have zero knowledge of the Spanish language ... I can bluff it in several languages but Spanish isn't one of them :(

Thoughts?

Hi all,

After some good advice please. We're (me , wife, 15 yo son) heading on over from the UK to initially Cozumel. We land in Cancun airport at around 15:30 and then we're booked in a condo on Coz from 15:00 the next day (all happening middle of next month .. i.e. July).

The question is where to stay the night that we arrive? Would you maybe stay close to the airport, Puerto Morelos, somewhere near the port in PDC or somewhere entirely different? Obviously we're after an easy transfer either prebooked or via a taxi from the airport ... driving won't be an option as I suspect I will maybe try the odd alcoholic beverage on board :D

If it matters we have zero knowledge of the Spanish language ... I can bluff it in several languages but Spanish isn't one of them :(

Thoughts?

How are you traveling from Cancun airport to Cozumel? If you are riding the ferry, I suggest taking the ADO bus (very nice AC buses located just outside the airport exit). It is now, or at least in April, $15 to Playa del Carmen, about 1- 1 1/2 hr ride. Taxi's will cost you $50-$60 one way. The ADO bus station in PDC is right by the ferry landing. There are a number of small hotels close by. We always stay at Hotel Cielo (Playa del Carmen Hotel - Hotel Cielo). It's a very clean, boutique (whatever that is) hotel 2 blocks from ADO down 5th Ave., the drag, in PDC. Plenty of restaurants and bars on 5th. I believe that there are a few more closer to the ferry landing; you might check TripAdvisor Playa del Carmen All Inclusive Resorts & Hotels | TripAdvisor. If you're flying from Cancun to Coz., you're on your own. I always fly direct to Cozumel. Have fun! We're diving down the coast at Xcalak XTC DIVE CENTER | Scuba diving, Snorkelling, Fishing and Excursions in Xcalak, Costa Maya Mexico next month for a week then driving back to PDC for a week there.:wink:

By the way, English only is no problem. They're very used to the gringos!

The Courtyard Marriott in Cancun is just a few miles from the airport. They have a shuttle bus that will pick you up form the airport and leave you at the hotel.

You can make travel plans from there. They are right on Hwy 307. CancunRentACar is next door if you decide to rent a car for your travels.

My wife and I have done this trip many times and as one who likes to have the "occasional adult beverage" on the plane, we like to make the last leg to Playa del Carmen and ferry as easy as possible... We use Cancun Shuttle, can be booked via the Cancun airport website. Yes, they will be more $$$ but the convenience for me is worth it, private car waiting for you once you have gone thru the gauntlet of timeshare folks and deliver you to the doorstep of your desired hotel. After a long flight and a few drinks, one less headache in an air conditioned private car is worth the extra and can be booked prior to arrival (so its already paid for). There are many Hotels located on/near 5th avenue in Playa (where you will pick up the Ferry) as recommended in previous post...try TripAdvisor or even LocoGringo.com

Have fun

I would NOT stay in Cancun (I hate it). Take whatever means of transportation (taxi or bus) to PDC and chill out over there. A hotel close by to the ADO Bus as well as the ferry (some 4 blocks) is the Barrio Latino: good price, clean, and has a fantastic little italian restaurant right in front. I always stay there when in PDC. For the short time you will stay, PDC is the option since you will be next to the ferry and ready to go, without having to pay for any further transportation. If you are carrying a lot of bags, then the next morning, go to the ferry and get one of the guys with the cargo bicycles to go with you to your hotel and get the bags for you, that will save you some bag dragging through 5th avenue.

Thanks all ... looks like going to PDC is the preferred choice. Really appreciate the replies

---------- Post added June 14th, 2013 at 04:00 PM ----------

.. and just for some feedback, I've booked into the Barrio Latino .. that looks great for a night since they also sort out a pickup taxi from the airport so hopefully no hassle.

Had to laugh when I enquired if the taxi would be big enough for the 3 of us .. yes but its $25 more. Ohh, so its a bigger vehicle I asked .. no same one ... hmmm so what do I get for that extra $25 ... nevermind , I think I know that answer!

Next question, the second week we're moving off Coz down to Tulum to a condo we've rented and intend to hire a car. I am thinking of a taxi to Tulum and then sort out car rental in Tulum, then at the end of the week taxi from Tulum back to CUN airport. Does that make sense or is Tulum a little limited for car rental places? (haven't even thought about the insurance side .. very different to the UK .. that's all I know!:confused: )

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom