Oversized boots on drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a viking xtreme and have been having problems due to the boots being too big. They are probably 2 sizes too big and right now I just don't have the extra funds to go have a custom set put on. I always have the feeling that my feet are floating in there and loss of some of the fin control that I have normally with wetsuit boots. I also had a problem diving yesterday where the strap popped open on my fins, due to the extra space being consumed with air, my ankle weights wrapped in around my foot and caused some restriction on my feet.....needless to say I had to abort the dive. Anyone have any solutions for this? I've heard of different strap set-ups to fix this problem but wasn't sure what the best solution was for this, other than custom boots.

darylm74:
I have a viking xtreme and have been having problems due to the boots being too big. They are probably 2 sizes too big and right now I just don't have the extra funds to go have a custom set put on. I always have the feeling that my feet are floating in there and loss of some of the fin control that I have normally with wetsuit boots. I also had a problem diving yesterday where the strap popped open on my fins, due to the extra space being consumed with air, my ankle weights wrapped in around my foot and caused some restriction on my feet.....needless to say I had to abort the dive. Anyone have any solutions for this? I've heard of different strap set-ups to fix this problem but wasn't sure what the best solution was for this, other than custom boots.

I have an idea.

use a long shoelace (like one for a hiking boot) and do this:

Start by putting your foot on the lace (lace under the boot) evenly spaced.

Cross over above the arch of he foot (top) and then wrap one or two times around the ankle like a hockey skate. Tie it off fairly tightly.

If you want to make it so it stays tight even on really deep dives then you can try to replace the part of the lace above the arch with a thick bungee or tie a bungee into this part of the lace.

Also wear a couple of pairs of thick socks.

A structural solution involves new boots.

R..

Diver0001:
I have an idea.

use a long shoelace (like one for a hiking boot) and do this:

Start by putting your foot on the lace (lace under the boot) evenly spaced.

Cross over above the arch of he foot (top) and then wrap one or two times around the ankle like a hockey skate. Tie it off fairly tightly.

R..

Trident makes a rubber thingy that looks like a 3 point star that does something similiar to this. The boots on my Bare were somewhat large, although not 2 sizes, so I wore extra socks and put a velcro knife band around the top of each boot (I didn't use ankle weights).

For the size difference, I would attempt to find some booties or something to take up the space, but as has been said, they are too big and you need to replace them as soon as you can as they are dangerous IMO.

MD

Yeah, I definitely think they are dangerous as well. I may be exaggerating with the 2 sizes too big but I'd say there is an extra inch between the end and my toe. I have already e-mailed Bob3 about replacements, just hope they are not too much.

Thanks

MechDiver:
Trident makes a rubber thingy that looks like a 3 point star that does something similiar to this.

...snip...

MD

That's true too. It might be worth a try but I didn't think it would be strong enough to compensate for two whole shoe sizes. They work well if your shoe is about the right size to begin with.

I think he might be able to tie the boot on tighter with a lace....question is if it will stay tight enough at depth. Also I think with the lace tied tight around his ankle he won't be running such a big risk of the foot coming out of the boot entirely.

R..

The boots are attached on the Viking Xtreme, so there is no issue of the foot coming out of the boots persay my heel doesn't stay planted on the inside sole. The issue is really that all of the added space in the boot fills up with air causing me to not have a good solid footing in the fin (i.e. foot moving around), causing my fins to pop loose and also the normal issue with too much air in your feet wanting to flip you upside down. I thought of using 2 pairs of socks but that would take some pretty thick socks to compensate. I'm sorry if I didn't describe the situation correctly.

darylm74:
The boots are attached on the Viking Xtreme, so there is no issue of the foot coming out of the boots

Or maybe not. This is exactly the problem I had with my Bare as the legs were a couple inches long and if enough air got into the boot, it would pop off my foot. Very difficult to fin that way :wink:
Thats why I went to knife straps, both to limit air into the boot, and to help hold it on just in case. I never lost a boot in an actual dive, but did in the pool when I first got it.

MD

Diver0001:
That's true too. It might be worth a try but I didn't think it would be strong enough to compensate for two whole shoe sizes. They work well if your shoe is about the right size to begin with.

R..

yer probably right, I've never dived with them on, just tried one in the shop.

Well looks like I'm going to wear thicker/extra socks and do the knife straps for now. Hopefully this will work for me until I can get new boots.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom