Overweight concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rosewater,

Don't worry about the weight. If you feel physically able to dive then by all means get your certification. Custom wetsuits may solve your problem right away as may a hyperstretch wetsuit.

SCUBA diving can be a great incentive to loose weight. I personally started dieting and exercising after my fat butt couldn't fit into my wetsuit anymore. Stick with the exercise and you will find that your diving experience will become more pleasent.

Also don't sweat the occasional instructor who is condescending about your weight he/she are probably under the opinion that all divers should be olympic athletes. Simply find a different instructor if possible.

I have seen some very overweight divers do very well below the surface. There of course are health issues but doing what you can to reduce weight will take care of most of them.

I was about 70# overweight and I have been a diver for several years now.There are suits in larger sizes available. Soounds like you had a bad instructor if he was insulting you or implying you were fat, like you did not know you were over weight. if you are healthy other then the weight I see no reason not to take the class. You should not use diving as a reason to loose you should do it because you want to for yourself.

Rosewater:
I want to move from snorkeling to scuba diving. Unfortunately I am extremely overweight. I was going to get certified a few years ago, but felt very uncomfortable being so large. The dive instructor did nothing to ease my concerns so I bowed out of the lessons (He stopped just short of openly calling me fat as some other students tried on wet suits). I tried a resort dive last year and had no problems. Well, I had problems staying neutral, but having no lessons, I think I did ok.

I am now working out 5-6 days a week. I haven’t lost any weight, but my cardiovascular endurance is raising steadily. I can easy pass the swim test involved (I can swim and tread water for hours). Here are my questions:

Should I wait till I lose weight to get certified?
Do they make wet suits for larger people? All the ones I found are a few sizes too small. I need a size 20-22 women’s.

I do most of my snorkeling in Florida, but I also want to dive in Missouri (where I’m from). The water in MO is cold at deeper levels so I know I’ll need a wet suit to really take full advantage of being a certified diver.

Rosewater. I am very impressed. I think you will do just fine. You will also discover new friends, and new activities.

Keep in touch with your doctor, diving has risks, but the upside of being more active and involved far outweighs them. Just let your doctor be your guide on your personal situation.

Welcome to SB and to diving!!!

Rosewater:
Should I wait till I lose weight to get certified?

It's not a requirement as long as you can perform the skills. Obviously your weight isn't going to help you become a record breaking super-hero diver but you already know that. You need to understand (experience) your limits and operate within them, just like every other diver, so nothing really different or special there.....

Your biggest risk with diving will be an increased risk of heart attack. Diving isn't any different than any other activity in this way but while a heart attack on dry land is already really bad, under water it's usually fatal. It's a risk you need to consider and accept if you wish to dive.

If it were me in your position I would just do it. That's not medical advise, that's just advice from a diver. I personally think that anything you do to become physically active and engaged in living life is good for you.

Do they make wet suits for larger people?
Sure they do. You can get suits custom made if you can't find a standard size that fits. Dive shops only stock a limited range of sizes.

I do most of my snorkeling in Florida, but I also want to dive in Missouri (where I’m from). The water in MO is cold at deeper levels so I know I’ll need a wet suit to really take full advantage of being a certified diver.

I can't really address this. I've never been to Florida (well...just at the Miami airport on the hottest day in human history) or Missouri.

R..

welcome to the board!!!

From a former Missourian (now living in Key Largo) and BBD (Big Beautiful Diver)...GO FOR IT!!!

As far as wet suits, once you get your cert. consider giving Liquid Fit a call. Carolyn makes all of my suits (even when I was quarry diving in the midwest).

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me!

Pat

If waited until I lost my excessive weight before taking up Scuba, I'd still be a bubble watcher. Get a custom made suit, and if you do lose the weight later - you'll be happy about buying a new one. :D

My SCUBA instructor was about 6'0 and about 300#. Did great in the water. Good for you being interested and trying to do something about it. Get out there and have some FUN!

I also agree with the poster who mentioned a drysuit. They fit looser, and offer good comfort, especially in cold water. Because they don't rely on "tightness" for their warmth, they are often a nice choice of us more "generously portioned" divers! :) I'm 6'0 and about 240. Not running any marathons soon!

The other benefit of a drysuit is that you can wear it anywhere. It's what you wear UNDER it that gives the warmth (talking about a shell suit) and the drysuit merely keeps the water out. I've seen pictures of drysuits being used in Antartica, and I've seen the same drysuits being used in Florida.

Best of luck, and keep us updated if you decide to go ahead and be certified. Keep up your cardio work for your own sake, consult with your doctor, and have some fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom