OW Cert. Complete!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bibendum

Contributor
Reaction score
We finished our OW course over the weekend! Weather, water and visibility in Monterey were great! Sat., 59 degree water with +20 ft. of visibility. Sun., 57 degree water with about 13 ft. visibility.

All the dives and skill work went well and we had fun on the tours after the skill session. I had a trouble with my ears on Saturday's second dive, but got it worked out. Final check out dive on Sunday with just my buddy (well, actually two - we were in a group of three) was awesome...a little anxious at first being without the instructor and all...but I was quickly able to just relax and enjoy (it was interesting to see the increase in my SAC between the first day of diving and the final dive on Sunday - I was huffing a lot more air when it was just the three of us). We saw tons of marine life, and found ourselves just under a large group of Senoritas and Trumpet Fish in a kelp clearing at one point - it was like being at the Aquarium, only I was in with the fish!

We had a great weekend in Monterey! I'm hooked, when's the next dive?

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice you gave while I was taking the class!

Congrats, the more you dive, the better your air consumption will get. I just did my first solo dive, but I was comfortable enough in the water that I managed to squeeze out 92 minutes in 19 feet of water, and still surface with 500 psi in the AL 80. My next goal is to break the 100 minute mark for that depth. If you set goals for your air consumption, you'll be more aware of your breathing and will greatly improve your bottom time. I improved from my last dive at that depth by nearly 20 minutes. Good luck, have fun, and Dive Safely and Often (DSAO).

Bibendum:
Final check out dive on Sunday with just my buddy (well, actually two - we were in a group of three) was awesome...a little anxious at first being without the instructor and all...b

I don't get it, a checkout dive sans instructor?

Congratualtions!

Pete

congrats, keep gettin wet.

spectrum:
I don't get it, a checkout dive sans instructor?

Congratualtions!

Pete

With SSI, your final certification dive is you and your buddy planning and executing the dive. You go over your plan with your instructor, and then let him/her know when you enter and exit the water.

Zoe83:
Congrats! I'm sure you will get better with breathing the more dives you do :)

I actually did pretty good with the breathing right off. I was getting two 25 minute dives out of one tank (80 steel). But, on the last dive with just my buddy and I .... I only got one 32 minute dive out of the tank (although I did surface with 1200 psi left). I am interested to work on getting that back down to two dives off one tank though. Already planning the next dive weekend for two weeks from now and I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom