OW Cert w/o learning Dive Tables?!?!?

Should the dive tables be taught in basic OW?

• Yes

Votes: 166 89.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it sensible to use average depth for table calculations?
Just asking because some times backing up my computer on PADI tables (which I intend to keep doing) I've bent the table if I haven't dived a square profile, so I might have been down 20 ft deeper for a few minutes and then have to add depth due to altitude correction. I've been dealing with this is various ways from just using a shallower depth, a non-altitude corrected depth, an average depth or just assuming I'm group Z, but I was wondering the best way to deal with this.

I don't want to stop backing up on tables because I want the reality check and added dive planning ability, plus the backup incase my comp dies.

The PADI wheel sort of does average depth but dials in some conservation onto that. Using a computer on a dive that isnt square and involves quite different depths will nearly always bring you out on the highest tissue code the tables allow (G, Z or whatever table format you use). Thats because the computer knows the real profile.

Going back to the original point i still maintain tables are the only sensible method for teaching decompression theory that MUST be taught at a basic level. Its the only method to provide real world numbers to what is otherwise an abstract non-real concept to a student. Its impossible to get the same ease and calculations on computers alone - other than top end VR3s etc they all lack the planning options required to illustrate whats happening over multi day-multi dives.

String:
I assume you mean eRDP ? The RDP is the table.

Its one of the most retrograde steps padi have made for a while.

Yes thanks for the correction!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom