ow cert-where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kriss

Reaction score
I am new to the board.my adult daughter and I are looking for a vacation ow cert. program.restrictions-delta has to fly there(grand cayman,nassau,belize,aruba,virgin is.),it will be presidents week(she is a teacher).I had gotten a ymca cert.35 years ago and did some diving with various club med resorts 20 years ago.she has done "resort dives" in australia 2 years ago. any recommendations on specific dive locations and divemasters/instructors would be appreciated as well as leads to links if this topic has been covered.thanks.

There's so much great diving out there. It may depend on cost. Bahamas and Cayman Islands will be relatively expensive while Cozumel will be cheaper but the quality of the diving is all great. You may also want to pick a spot where there's lots of beginner level dive sites. Most of Cozumel will be drift diving so it's debatable whether that will suit an OW course candidate. You can also stay within the US and go down to the Florida Keys where there's lots of great dive sites for beginners and the price will be right too. I have an article about that region in my website below.

I understand from your post that your daughter has already had some scuba experiences so odds are she will have an easy time of the full blown open water class. Still I would suggest considering doing a well paced program at home. If the water conditions are no conducive to doing her checkout dives at home then get a referral and do those on vacation and you'll both have more time to.... DIVE.

If she intends to be a local at home diver as well I'd strongly suggest repeating the check out dive process in her home waters when the water is to her liking next spring.

I asssume you will be doing the program as well after all these years. If not a good refresher as a minimum would be prudent.

Pete

kriss:
I am new to the board.my adult daughter and I are looking for a vacation ow cert. program.restrictions-delta has to fly there(grand cayman,nassau,belize,aruba,virgin is.),it will be presidents week(she is a teacher).I had gotten a ymca cert.35 years ago and did some diving with various club med resorts 20 years ago.she has done "resort dives" in australia 2 years ago. any recommendations on specific dive locations and divemasters/instructors would be appreciated as well as leads to links if this topic has been covered.thanks.

Hi Kriss,
There are many dive programs that you can sign on to. Having done dives, the both of you should be a cinch to teach.
The most popular and recognised is PADI so I suggest you go with them. As you may know, any dive program is good and dependent on the instructor and the training he gives. So whichever you may choose, choose a dedicated instructor.
An ideal place to learn would be in Mabul Island, in Borneo. As you may know, Mabul is 10 minutes from one of the best dive sites in the world- Sipadan Island. PADI Open water courses there cost only USD 300.00 and the house reef where the open water dives will be conducted is beautiful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom