OW Dive# 6: SWEPCO Lake - March 18, 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try a retractable dog leash and clip to your buddy...there is definitely a learning curve because of entanglement issues, but your buddy is just a tug away in the muck!

SteveBF:6283247:
Speaking of fish... are bass OK to spear in SWEPCO?
. No I don't think so. I'm thinking sewp is a sport lake.

How fitting that my first 'dive' report on ScubaBoard is also my first "real" post-certification open-water dive, not counting the "fifth dive" during my class.

I had tried to dive at SWEPCO back on New Years day but did not get further down than about five feet at my fins due to not having enough weight to overcome the wetsuits. Better luck today as I went with the same friend I had to bail on back on NYD, and this time was only wearing a 3mil shorty. Still felt like I was a little under-weighted, but did pretty well (IMO).

Temperature was right at 78 degress, and the viz was 5 feet if that. We were a little disappointed in the lack of fish this time around. Only saw a couple of perch plus a whole lot of little 2-3" bass. Thermocline seemed to me to be at about 20 feet, and dropped about 10 degrees. All in all, not much to look at, but sure did beat an afternoon of chores or watching college basketball.

We spent 24 minutes under at a max of 25 feet down. Started at 3100 psi and ended with 2200.

I spent an awful lot of my time and focus trying to stay close enough to my buddy while not running into him either. I never have to worry about that when I am trying out equipment or running drills in the pool :)

Several Lessons Learned:

1. It's better to be a little over-weighted than under.
2. It's tough to keep contact with a buddy when the viz is 5 feet.
3. Stay calm when you lose your buddy...remember your training. And don't forget to look UP, not just AROUND :)
4. (AGAIN) MAN THIS IS FUN!!!

I also want to give a shout-out to my LDS of choice - Paradise Dive Adventures run by Richard and Karen Whitehead. I couldn't ask for a nicer duo to have promoting my new hobby of choice here locally.

Can you honestly believe I posted a comment on how swepco is (5 foot is giving to much credit LOL) and one of the members of a local dive group went banannas? It amazes me some people really enjoy running in to things and diving in pitch black conditions only 5 feet under the surface. I am no swepco fan at all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom