OW requirements for certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I would suggest as someone who used to wear glasses and contacts is to get a prescription mask. Or prescription lenses for a mask rather. There are tons of manufacturers who may masks where you can change out the lenses. And they prices aren't too horrible (cheaper than replacing lost contacts).

Already have a prescription mask. Mine is an Oceanic Ion and you can replace the lenses with various magnifications. Mine is +1.5 and cost about $75 AUD

However this doesn't get around the issue of eye infection if people are prone to them. Also there is the risk of eye infection from contaminated water (there was an article in DAN Australia magazine on someone who was affected badly while diving in PNG)

What I would suggest as someone who used to wear glasses and contacts is to get a prescription mask. Or prescription lenses for a mask rather. There are tons of manufacturers who may masks where you can change out the lenses. And they prices aren't too horrible (cheaper than replacing lost contacts).

The major downside to a prescription mask is it means you have to deal with glasses on the boat. Glasses on boats are easy to break or lose (especially since they aren't nicely on your face at all times, you have to take them off and leave them)- and glasses cost a fortune. I'm a bit biased because I don't have prescription sunglasses, so if I wore my glasses (which I wear pretty much full time in regular life) on the boat, that would also suck.

Disposable contacts are pretty cheap- and if you get the daily kind, you don't even really have to worry about losing them. But even without dailies, it is a lot cheaper to replace disposable contacts (say biweekly or monthly that are more common) than a pair of broken glasses.

Hi Haleye97,

Just completed my certification on a referral with the Scuba Club in Palm Beach, highly recommend J.D. and the crew! I did my confined water at Aquatic Adventures in Hilliard, OH. Very professional operation. Have there own indoor dive tank and lap pool. Safety is paramount with them! Liked them so much I just had my 101/2 year old daughter do Future Dive Buddies with them. You should stop and check them out. Easy on and off I270 exit 13.

griley100

The major downside to a prescription mask is it means you have to deal with glasses on the boat. Glasses on boats are easy to break or lose (especially since they aren't nicely on your face at all times, you have to take them off and leave them)- and glasses cost a fortune.
Not a problem. My mask sits in its case all the time. When it's time to put it on, I take it out of the case, take my glasses off, put my glasses in the case, and put the case back in its spot. Repeat in reverse after the dive.

On a boat I use the $2 1.5 magnification glasses. Have a couple of sets, one in my log book, one in dry bag and a spare. If they get broken, no prob. My $350 glasses are safe when diving and best of all "I can still see and read"

Not a problem. My mask sits in its case all the time. When it's time to put it on, I take it out of the case, take my glasses off, put my glasses in the case, and put the case back in its spot. Repeat in reverse after the dive.

Maybe if I were more responsible this would work for me... I've never had to dive with glasses, since I'm new to diving, but I've two disasters (one lost, one broken) and many near disasters (plus the no sunglasses issue) of glasses on boats, so I avoid the issue when I can.

Cheap glasses aren't an option for me- my prescription is fairly extreme. Thank goodness for daily contacts. If my eyes reject contacts again, then a prescription mask will have to be the option.

Andy an the Columbus scuba staff are great i have done a few classes with them and never an issue, very good instructors.

I tried a prescription mask. I suppose it depends on how strong your correction is, but for me it was like looking through a Coke bottle. I always wear contacts and carry a few spares with me on the boat. Disposables are cheap.

As for advice for someone looking to get scuba certified, my advice is to not sweat the requirements and just sign up for the Open Water course as soon as you can. You will be fine. As you can see from these replies, lots of us wear glasses and contacts. You don't need to study anything in advance of signing up, though if you are the curious type by all means have at it. But the course teaches you everything that is required. Sign up and then follow what they tell you to do.

I dived with contacts for years before getting LASIK (which I heartily endorse!). I never had a problem. I frequently have students wearing contacts. I have never had a problem. Closing your eyes while doing mask skills is simple--I usually do it myself, even though I don't have contacts--because I am not wild about chlorine water in my eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom