OW scootering with a surface marker buoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm trying to see where your survey results are used? Are you making maps, or just posting GPS #'s for dive sites.?

It is for making maps of the dive sites. See attachment.

The wiki is very comprehensive. Nice work on that btw. :)

Thanks, although 99.9% of the credit should go to my buddy Peter Southwood.

While I'm still not sure what you're using your towed data/survey for..

Here is a Bathymetric map we made using Grass, and data from our magnetometer.

Is this something like what you want to do?

Yes - that is very nice!

rgds
monty

Attachments

• 20101106_Batsata_GPS1.jpg
    20101106_Batsata_GPS1.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 69
Is there not a satellite image of the area?

I'm new to DPV's having just got mine, but after scootering yesterday towing a float in current, I found the line to be a pain as well. I don't have any tried and true methods for obvious reasons, but I'll share the two ideas I came up with that I'm going to try. The first is for shallow depths when I go out to the reefs and my max depth is less than forty feet, is to use a spearfishing float line attached to the scooter, rather than a reel to the float. For deeper dives, I think I'll take a couple of fishing bobbers with me and attach them to the reel line about thrity feet from the float.

Both methods should have the line trying to stay taught to the surface, and the spearfishing float line has the added benefit of being a stiff cord that can't easily be sucked into a prop or try to tie itself to fin straps and tank valves.

I'll let you know how the ideas work out when I try them.

Back
Top Bottom