owensboro area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello everyone, I live in the owensboro area and was wondering for anyone that lives around here where else we could dive? hopkinsville is a great place to dive but i usually dont feel like gathering everybody up drive that far to knock out 2 dives then drive home. im also looking for a better excuse to purchase the rest of my equipment ie. a tank, wetsuit or 2 with hood n gloves etc. so does anyone know of some small lakes or anything where we can dive at? thanks in advanced.

Not really much close around here. All's I'm aware of is Pennyroyal- 1 1/2hr drive (as youmentioned), Cerulean- 1 1/2 hr drive (closed last I heard), Falling Rock- 2 1/2 hr drive (NE of Louisville), Mermet Springs- 2 1/2hr drive (No. of Paducah), KY lake area- 2 1/2 hr drive & Martha's Quarry in Lebanon TN- 2 1/2 drive. There are also a few quarries further up in IN & OH, but not any closer than anything else. I personally would not dive the Ohio river for anything,.. especially right now. Other than finding a land owner who may have a lake or pond (with about a 1-2 of vis),..... there's just not much else.... sorry.:( Just a note,... If you plan to dive in a public lake or such, there are usually laws that you must carry with you on your dive a dive flag marker to warn boats (not that it always does what it is supposed to). If your family is in to camping, pennyroyal has primative camping,... if not, there are several motels around Hopkinsville. Why not make a weekend of it, if time allows?

Tstorm, you are correct that Cerulean is closed. Another site that might be worth the drive is Bonne Terre mines. It is quite a drive (a little south of St. Louis), but I have heard wonderful things about it. I hope to get there soon, but have not had the opportunity yet. I have been is several of the ponds/lakes/mud puddles around Owensboro, and I would suggest that you skip them and just drive to Hop-town. I was on the local dive/rescue team for a few years, and we never found anything with decent viz (but good for our purposes, lol). If you DO find anything local, let the world know!

Yes, I have heard Cerulean was offically closed, but have also heard that the owner will let divers in, if paid directly. Last I heard, nothing really to see, as it has been fished out & the underwater attractions have deteriorated. Also, no facilities whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom