owners of sherwood maximus--do you like the underarm hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mason

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a maximus. Is the underarm hose a good way to go, or is it uncomfortable?

With my previous setup (jacket style BC) I loved the underarm hose. Felt more "compact" without that hose passing over the shoulder...

Took me some time to get the reflex to bring back the hose under the arm in 2nd stage retrieval drill. Definitly something that requires a bit of practice to perform as efficiently as with the regular hose routing.

I recently switched to a BP/Wing setup. On some occasions, when I inflated the wing the hose got pushed to the side, turning slightly the 2nd stage counter clock which brought me jaw fatigue over time... Changed for a long hose setup and it's working just fine... :)

Hope that helped!
JS

My wife loves her Sherwood Maximus and the underarm hose routing! I did too, but I've since switched to Scubapro (MK 25 with D400 primary, backup rig is MK20 with G500). I've rigged my Scubapro regs in similar fashion to the Maximus using a longer second stage hose and a Scubapro 120 degree elbow on the primary second stage).

It's a good recreational reg. I started with it and liked it. I now dive a BP/W and long hose, which I like much better. In OW classes, I now dive an over shoulder, which is okay. The underarm was more comfortable than the over shoulder. Again, the long hose configuration is the most comfortable.

I use the under-the-arm routing with an elbow connector (see the pic in my gallery) on a 40" hose and I'm very happy with it. nihaomtl is right that it takes practice to automatically do a reg retrieval if you're used to the over-the-shoulder routing. Nice for airsharing drills, too, esp with a bungeed backup.

Next for me will be the primary on a long hose.

Thanks for the opinions. Now to make a decision...

mason:
Thanks for the opinions. Now to make a decision...

don't base your bying decision on that feature alone.
You can buy elbows for relatively little money. They work on all (well, almost all) 2nd stages as the connector is standardized.

And if you use an Octopus with a long (40") hose, it's a good idea to swap the 40" Octo hose with the standard 22" hose that are on most regulators, and bungee the Octo around your neck. If you route the main reg. underarm, that is.

d-s-f

Well, my LDS sells sherwood and genesis. I'm trying to get a higher-end reg and still stick with them. Don't get me wrong, I've looked at bunch of others, and have seen some at shops while on the road. I want the best for my money, and also want something I'm not going to have to upgrade in a year or so. I want it to be nitrox capable, as i have the card, but also must be very reliable at 130'. Is it good for all that, or am I looking at the wrong reg?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom