Oxidation on fiberglass boat-chime in...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brad ,
I owned a detail shop in il (not far from you) for 13 years ....i have extensive training on glass ....i can point you in the right direction to keep you boat looking good . I did a boa once that it took 7 years before it started to fade ....no it wasn't kept inside lol...i will p m you with my # any questions just ask
Gary

I'd like to know too .

As mentioned, washes and waxes that inlude PTEF are excellent at stopping oxidation cold in it's tracks and provide superior protection. I have had good luck removin oxidation with the 3M product line but I would top it with a coat of wax containing PTEF. I use a buffer, the orbital type as would be used for my autos. N

I am so tired of buffing and waxing, The only solution we can think of is to build a carport for the boat. Two coats of the PTEF product didn't even last 30 days.

Never again a dark colored hull.

I am so tired of buffing and waxing, The only solution we can think of is to build a carport for the boat. Two coats of the PTEF product didn't even last 30 days.

Never again a dark colored hull.

Why do people in the south build carports? Build a garage, the footprint is the same and it can be locked so that vandals cannot steal your stuff and since your having wax on and wax off problems, nothing stops UV better than a full enclosure.

If your hull oxidizes that fast it makes me wonder if the gell coat is of poor quality,very porous or something like that--or it gets a lot of use?

N

Comet clenser and and a Scotchbrite pad. I don't like the sun blinding me reflecting off a shiney boat and it's not as slippery. As long as it clean I'm happy, don't need no shine.

Why do people in the south build carports? Build a garage, the footprint is the same and it can be locked so that vandals cannot steal your stuff and since your having wax on and wax off problems, nothing stops UV better than a full enclosure.

If your hull oxidizes that fast it makes me wonder if the gell coat is of poor quality,very porous or something like that--or it gets a lot of use?

N

Full enclosure would cost as much as the boat. I think a lot of people think that since you own a boat then you must have money, the truth is because I have a boat I DON"T have money!

All kidding aside, a full enclosure is way out of the budget.

Right now the boat is facing north, it gets full morning sun on the starboard side, then afternoon on port. Once we move the boat to its new slab it will face east, hopefully that alone will help some. The "carport" we are putting up is one of those tubular jobs with a tarp that comes part down the sides. It should do a good job of shading the hull and keeping the fresh water off..

We do have a full canvas cover, but it only covers to just below the rub rail.

Very possible the gel coat is getting porous. The hull is almost ten years old. Contender is known for their quality boats, I don't know much about gel coat though. It looks good when it is buffed and waxed, just doesn't stay that way long. One thing I can say though, this is the first hull I've owned that resists tannin stains.

Well, OK, carports don't add anything to your property value either, at least make the slab such that you can convert it into something permenant and value added to your property someday.

You have a great boat c-snake, we have all seen chalked gell coat. I had a boat years back, a well known high quality boat and no matter how much I waxed and buffed it turned dull and chalky and absorbed whatever was in the water making the hull splotchy looking. It nearly drove me insane and then I gave up and ignored it. Your carport should help provide some protection for those brutal southern sunny days.

N

Sheesh, I could talk about boats all night.

I hope you get the shine on your boat monysavr, I can't think of many things I would rather do than work on my boat, even if it is just trying to get her to shine.

I keep mine covered with a boat cover. A good one $200+ should last 5 to 8 years depending on your location. They are a bit of a hassel to put on and take off but they keep the dust and insects out which a carport cover wouldn't do. Even if mine was under a carport I still would keep it covered for that reason. The carport is good for shade when you have to work on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom