Oxycheq DIY light parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The latches are from oxycheq. I won't be ordering the ballast for awhile. I just finished building this light and should probably give it some dive time. Potting does sound like a good idea. I will try it when I build the battery holder.

As it is, this thing is running on 4 18650 batteries direct driven for a solid 4 hours of extremely bright. It will decrease brightness for probably at least another 4...Final version will have ~2.4 Amp driver and 8 18650 and prob an 8 hr burn time.

Depth rating... Theses tanks are D.O.T approved for 1800 psi service pressure. Thousands of feet. I wouldn't worry.
I wouldn't worry too much either, but that is a rating of inside pressure out, not outside pressure in.

I have checked ballast on BRIGHTSTAR SITE. But it seems that they stop with production of that ballast. Last years ago I have same problem , but then they stoped the production of HID 21W bulb with GU5,3 socket. Now they have only bulbs potted in ceramics,

Personally I think it is better to avoid HID product or take that one which have direct socket between ballast and bulb ( they are producet in big quantities for regular lamps - DARKBUSTER series )

@sebi
In Germany (Europe) it's standard to supply the card security code for a transaction where the card is not present, e.g. online shopping.
Yes , I forget I have some orders on Farnell in UK in that way. Normally I do PayPal or bank money order.

Hi,

I'm just curious... how did you attach the latches to the canister? Is the wall thick enough to drill/tap holes?

Johan

Hi,

I'm just curious... how did you attach the latches to the canister? Is the wall thick enough to drill/tap holes?

Johan

Yep self tapping screws of the appropriate length is all that is needed. You'd want to pre-drill a small portion first to get it started. You don't want to go all the way through though.

mangrovejack, what material was your canister made of? I was refering to the CO2 tank-type canister. How thick is the wall?

Johan

The Co2 canister has a 1/8" wall thickness. If you get 1/4" #4-40 screws it should work. With the Aluminum canister I ad to drill and tap the holes efore attaching the latches. The Delrin canister you can just drill a hole and they will thread themselves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom