Oxycheq Sig Series Wing 1000 Cordura

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Doing some wing shopping, looking for something in the 25-30# range. Many wings boast a ~1400-1680 Cordura nylon--OMS, HOG, Hollis, and you can get these wings roughly in the $250 price range. The Oxycheq Sig Series wing, in this same price range, has only 1000 Cordura nylon. I know Oxy makes the Extreme Series wing, which is nearly bullet proof, but this wing bumps up to another price range, ~$75 more.

I'm just wondering if anyone has dove hard Oxy's 1000 Cordura Sig Series wing and can comment on how it holds up? My head is spinning trying to understand the differences between the 1000 and 1680 Dernier fabrics. One site suggests that the 1000 is US made and extremely durable, while the 1680 is imported and a less costly substitute for Ballistic grade stuff (something called 1050 Dernier). But I cannot find a direct comparison of the durability of the 1000 vs the 1680.

If it is worth the extra ~$75 or so for the Extreme Series wing, this would suggest that the Sig Series wings are rather overpriced. I balk a bit at the Extreme series perhaps a bit because it strikes me as overkill, but also because it still has the rubber inner bladder (albeit a thick one). No matter what the durability of the outer shell, the rubber inner bladder can pinch, wheres the nylon inner bladder tends not to, and the nylon inner bladder is also lighter. So I'm not terribly excited about going for the Extreme given its rubber inner bladder; if it had the coated nylon inner bladder (like Halcyon--I dove a 40lb Eclipse for years) I would have bought it already.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom