Oxycheq Ultra lite Sift Backplate, "dolphin tech", mares....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrarmyant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking at getting this (i have a cf backplate I made now, and while I have integrated wrench cuts and things that make it super cool, I think I'd prefer a soft plate for travel and not constantly be in fear of abrasion damage. Looking at the Mares XR soft plate (I have the super small mares xr wing), the dolphin tech sold from piranha, and the oxycheq. No one seems to confirm nor deny from experience if theyve gotten the oxycheq to work on another brand. Any feedback?

OxyCheq Ultralite Travel Backpack
New! Ultralight Soft Travel Backplate Pad
Mares XR Backplate Soft | Dive Gear Express®

I can not answer your question but will add another to your list to consider: Zeagle Express Tech Backplate

I add this one because it has been the foundation for one of their BCDs which several people on the board use and it has been around for 4 or so years. We also have recently purchased these, but not yet set up it.

All about the same, get the cheapest one.

I have one of the Dolphin Tec soft backplates plates from Piranha. I like it. Can't vouch for mares, but it works fine with a DGX 30lb wing.

Hi everyone - I managed to borrow a Mares XR soft backplate from a friend to try it out, and found that it's very short! If following the rule of thumb where you reach behind your back and still touch the top of the plate, then the position of the waist strap would be somewhere around my lower ribs - not at the waist.

Any advice on the fit of these soft plates? I'm only about 5'9" or 1.76m so can't imagine how other much taller divers can get comfortable unless they lower the plate substantially, and look tardy (for a BP/W set up) as a result with the tank valve positioned so low.

Compared to a standard back plate, you can see on the soft plate the waist straps are positioned almost at the height of the lower tank strap slit, whereas on a conventional back plate, the waist strap is at least 2-3 inches below the lower tank strap slit.

Hi everyone - I managed to borrow a Mares XR soft backplate from a friend to try it out, and found that it's very short! If following the rule of thumb where you reach behind your back and still touch the top of the plate, then the position of the waist strap would be somewhere around my lower ribs - not at the waist.

Any advice on the fit of these soft plates? I'm only about 5'9" or 1.76m so can't imagine how other much taller divers can get comfortable unless they lower the plate substantially, and look tardy (for a BP/W set up) as a result with the tank valve positioned so low.

Compared to a standard back plate, you can see on the soft plate the waist straps are positioned almost at the height of the lower tank strap slit, whereas on a conventional back plate, the waist strap is at least 2-3 inches below the lower tank strap slit.
Position it so the waist strap fits better and see how it feels with a tank attached, I think it may be fine, soft plates can be different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom