oxygen cell input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackice

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm doing research on computers that will grow as my diving grows, and I've come across the term "oxygen cell input" and I'm not sure what this relates to?

Is it only for rebreathers? Or is it for measuring the gas mix from a tank? Do I need it for OC diving on mixed gas?

Hey blackice

The o2 cell input is originally designed for CCR. But, it can b used on several computers also as o2 analyzer.
To my opinion to use the analyzer just for checking the gas mix before the dive it’s a nice to have feature, but it will cost a lot. Don’t forger that u have an analyzer in every diving center who fills up nitrox.
At these computers u can always upgrade the computer to you’re current diving level. I see no reason to purchase the modules required for TriMix CCR diving when someone is diving nitrox to 40mt, but if someone feels he needs this capability in the computer during the dive… then why not.

Cheers

Mark
:)

Get a VR3.

It will 'grow' with your needs through purchasing software upgrades (pin number given over the phone) to upgrade from basic oc nitrox in stages all the way to ccr trimix.

if later you want a o2 cell - that can also be upgraded.

tyrell once bubbled...
Hey blackice

The o2 cell input is originally designed for CCR. But, it can b used on several computers also as o2 analyzer.
To my opinion to use the analyzer just for checking the gas mix before the dive it’s a nice to have feature, but it will cost a lot. Don’t forger that u have an analyzer in every diving center who fills up nitrox....

Thanks Mark, That cleared up the issue and will no doubt save me quite a few dollars. :)

If you are planning on using a rebreather, there are several computers that allow this integrated feature..
If you plan on using trimix, there are only 2
The explorer and VR3

I have both and definately prefer the explorer over the VR3.. My main complaints of the VR3 are the difficult to read display, and no bubble model support (VPM or RGBM).. The display is much to small and so are the characters even with the new BGM upgrade. For many of us over 30 the display is difficult to read unless you have great vision..

Depending on where you live the price varies greatly, In the UK you can get a fully loaded VR3 for a reasonable price, In the states its usually more expensive than an explorer..

The Explorer now only comes as 2 flavors cell integrated (doesn't have to be used) or no cell..

The vr3 you can buy different software levels, if you plan on cell intergration but it ahead of time or you will have to send the computer to the UK to have a connector fitted.

Right now ( 8/15/03) the price (today's exchange rate) for the ccr trimix with connector is virtually identical (VR3 - only $20 more) for someone importing into the states (not including the duty that has to be paid) between the explorer and VR3.

right now the price difference between ccr timix and oc nitrox/analyzer software is only about $85, if you drop the anaylzer software you can save another $50, so why bother.. just get thge whole package if you are going to get a vr3

padiscubapro once bubbled...
If you are planning on using a rebreather, there are several computers that allow this integrated feature..
If you plan on using trimix, there are only 2
The explorer and VR3

I have both and definitely prefer the explorer over the VR3.. My main complaints of the VR3 are the difficult to read display, and no bubble model support (VPM or RGBM).. The display is much to small and so are the characters even with the new BGM upgrade. For many of us over 30 the display is difficult to read unless you have great vision..

:wacko: Rebreather Computers

I have two VR-3's, and would have to say they are great computers. I also have good vision, but I would still have to echo PSP's comments about the size of the numbers on the VR-3, (and I do have the upgrade)! Also, I do believe, based on my research, that the RGBM is a better way to handle the helium problem, and that means going to the Explorer.=-)

idiot fish once bubbled...
Get a VR3.

It will 'grow' with your needs through purchasing software upgrades (pin number given over the phone) to upgrade from basic oc nitrox in stages all the way to ccr trimix.

if later you want a o2 cell - that can also be upgraded.

I don't know, I think there's a lot to be said for just getting a basic oc nitrox capable computer initially, whatever the current best deal is
My dive buddy has a VR3 and over a large number of dives, with the same bottom time, I come out on tables about the same time as he does on a VR3,which uses proplanner - starting the stops deeper, but then 'missing' a lot of the mid-range stops and spending what seems like eons at 4.5m.

I do notice as well, that as soon as he does what he classes as a 'serious' dive, he switches back to the tried and tested dd plan anyway, which is what I use.
On a trip last month, I think there were 4 or 5 vr3's and every day at least one was in bits in some way, usually the 4th cell bit playing up.

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
Also, I do believe, based on my research, that the RGBM is a better way to handle the helium problem, and that means going to the Explorer.=-)
I'm currently leaning towards the Explorer.

but I havn't seen the buttons... can any one tell me aobut the buttons and how they work? Are they push button or some other type?

blackice once bubbled...
I'm currently leaning towards the Explorer,
but I haven't seen the buttons... can any one tell me about the buttons and how they work? Are they push button or some other type?

They are "push down to activate" using left to select, and right to increment, but without some kind of glove or finger protection... (I find myself using the end of the strap to protect my fingertips when barehanded!)...they are VERY uncomfortable, since they have almost sharp points. Gene Melton, the designer, says that there is a redesign in the works.:wink:

Cool stuff.... wonder if the redesign is far off .. or if it's an easy upgrade? Any ideas? Is he on the board

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom