Oxygen compatible air processing with Hyper filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm working with my first Bauer Compressor VM-E3. Craig and others identified the compressor in another thread as a Mariner and I am working on single phase power conversion in Kdupreez's current thread... so the next problem seems to be:

The compressor has a Bauer P-21 with Triplex (stock unit) which will give me grade E air I assume? Now to get to Oxygen compatible air I would need to add a P-1 and P-3 filter arrangement or appliance?

Now the question becomes who supplies the stainless steel P-1 and P-3 purifier housings and is it worth using stainless housings...which seem to have a very long service life without the corrosion problems of aluminum, or adding the aluminum P-1 and P-3 purifiers to the stock Bauer P-21.

I found the purifiers listed on the 5000psi.com site but haven't been able to get a handle on pricing or which unit would be the best for my application. Do you have a good supplier with good pricing for these items? Obviously I will call 5000psi on Monday.

In your opinion is the Securus or Lawrence Factor system monitor worth the cost involved in adding it to the system?

If you happen to know the difference between the Mariner I and a mariner II, when should a bottom end overhaul be done or the bottom end inspected in rough hours? Also what type of oxygen compatible oil to run in this compressor.

I intend to operate this compressor with one of Vance Harlow's Super Dooper- Handy Dandy Tri-Mix Sticks...Voodoo Mix around here is running roughly .66 a cubic foot...hence the compressor investment by the way...

I would appreciate any help with this unit..as you can see I'm a newbie to owning/operating a scuba compressor....however I do have INTERNATIONAL tickets from TDI AND PADI for Gas blending...

If you intend to do any gas blending I would highly recommend the courses for you by the way...tons of useful practical hands on information...and of course Vance Harlow's Oxygen Hacker's Companion is absolutely PRICELESS!

Picture of compressor attached

Thanking you in advance; Douglas::D

Attachments

• bauer.jpg
    bauer.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Get a filter housing like this after the stock filter. Install a tee or some other kind of setup so that you can either pump your grade E air (without going through the hyperfilter). When you need to pump air for your partial pressure blending, obviously take it from the outlet side of the hyperfilter stack.

Use the Bauer synthetic lube or the Chemlube equivalent (751?).

There are pictures of my trimix stick at thedecostop.com. Look in my picture gallery over there, or search for "trimix stick."

Vance's book is priceless for anyone even remotely interested in owning a compressor or filling nitrox.

Oh no! you opened the next can of worms...LOL I love your solution for making an efficient atomizer for the oxygen delivery. The 360 degree delivery system located directly above the baffle is ingenious to say the least. When it comes to adding the O2 approx. how many psi/lpm are you using? Just wondering what size regulator output I will need. I guess the same question for He too...

Searching the threads on The Deco Stop and others I see lots of discussion about running one stick for the nitrox and looping to a second stick for the Helium input. Obviously you have a bit of practical experience under your belt which way would you go?

The compressor will be here tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait to get my hands on her and see just exactly what she is....Thank you for the website with the Hyper Filter Purifier housing by the way. I love their pricing and of course your suggestion of using that appliance exclusively for hyper pure air and keeping the rest of the system Grade E or better...That will certainly cut down on filter maintenance and expense...

I'll update after she arrives....

I use a medical reg for oxygen. It's usually adding about 15 lpm of oxygen for 32%. The compressor is 3.8cfm, so adjust accordingly.

For He, I use a welding reg (actually, I think it's a heliarc reg with a flowmeter). As you start getting into the richer mixes, you'll need more gas flow than a medical reg can supply without drilling out the orifice.

The oxygen regulator I have is a Victor Medical Unit, the output gauge goes up to 15 LPM.

The He regulator is a Scott Specialties and the output maximum output is 100 PSI

Are you introducing the He at the top of the stick close to the O2 location?

Your 15lpm reg should work. They'll actually go past the 15lpm reading on the gauge. You can always get some micro drill bits (60-80# drill bits) and drill out the orifice.

If you look closely, the He goes in the on the outside part of the stick, near the bottom. I can take a better picture of the stick in use if you want, but I think if you look at the fittings on both parts of the stick you'll be able to visualize it. The stick mounts with the big cap up and the compressor inlet down. The air comes in through the bottom, He is added first, then the gases make a right turn down to the center part of the stick, where oxygen is added. The O2 sensor is at the bottom, near the compressor inlet hose. One O2 sensor is all that you need, and there's a cheat sheet on the stick for quick reference.

When you start it up, you run the compressor to let the O2 sensor stabilize, then add the Helium until you get the desired reading (O2 sensor reading will drop as He is added, ie, 50% He = 10.45% O2 reading), then add the oxygen for final oxygen content.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom