Oxygen Compatible Parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Although I've been assured that I don't need to be concerned until I hit 40% O2, and I'm not even rec nitrox certified yet, I'd rather use O2 compatible parts and techniques if it's similarly priced to non-O2 compatible alternatives. I wanted to confirm a few things:

O-rings should be either EPDM or Viton
The material of the seats (HP & LP?) is irrelevant
Christolube, oxylube or tribolube for lubricants
SimpleGreen and vinegar for cleaning
Don't use my oil-caked allen wrenches from my auto toolkit :)

Is anything incorrect or absent? I'm not going to consider my regs "oxygen clean" or anything just from this (I know the tank & all fill stations have to be clean as well, etc), I just want to be making more informed decisions about my materials and methods.

I am saving for Vance's books, but I think it'll be a while yet.

I'm not going to consider my regs "oxygen clean" or anything just from this (I know the tank & all fill stations have to be clean as well, etc), I just want to be making more informed decisions about my materials and methods.
Bear in mind that the tank only has to be "oxygen clean" if it's seeing gas that contains a high concentration of oxygen (greater than 40%). This occurs if nitrox mixes are blended inside your tank (a.k.a, partial pressure blending). This does not occur when recreational nitrox mix is pumped directly from a bank (membrane system?) into your tank.

Based on where you are in your diving career, I wouldn't worry too much about keeping everything oxygen clean. Sure, go ahead and use EPDM or viton o-rings and O2-compatible lube on your regs. Other than that, don't worry about it...for now. Once you progress to tech diving, you'll probably be buying a bunch of new gear anyway (regs included).

Vance Harlow's book on reg maintenance is great for DIY reg repairs/overhauls. I highly recommend it.

The pieces of equipment that needs to be oxygen compatable is the cylinder valve and the cylinder. What I am saying is the cylinder has to be cleaned and the valve on the cylinder has to be cleaned and rebuilt with oxygen compatable parts (i.e. O-rings).

As Bubbletrubble said, the regulator system will probably never see pure oxygen or any gas at a pressure high enough to be a concern on the low pressure side. The high pressure side will see pressures high enough to be an issue for decompression mixes, but you will not be in that range if you are staying in the 40% or lower range.

The low pressure side of the regulator (inflator hose, second stage and hose, octo and hose) will never reach a pressure level that could ever be dangerous at any mix level. But if you are going to clean the high pressure side, might as well do the low pressure side as well.

Also, I know of no scuba regulator hoses except the new Milflex hoses that are oxygen clean from the manufacturer. Everyone talks about O-rings and seats, but I never read about the "rubber" hoses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom