Oxygen tester????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnsnott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, I did the usual thread search and turned up nothing on this, so here goes.

Is there a good reason I should buy an ox checker for EANx diving.
I'm hesitant to get one since all af the dive shops have them, so what if any reasons are there for getting one? I haul my rental tanks with me, so that's not in the equation.
Thanks
Greg

Snowbear:
I made mine from a kit. If I can do it, should be no problem for someone with a clue :D
http://www.scubaboard.com/t50490.html

$100. Who can complain about that.

BTW Dr. Frankenmule. Did we mention the part about toxing out and DYING! Oh yah we did. Sorry. I just like to say it. Like the tumor kid in Kindergarten Cop. :death2:

The standard should be that all gas is tested twice: at the dive shop when you pick it up and sign the log and then again on site as you prepare for the dive.

Dr. Frankenmule:

I'm hesitant to get one since all af the dive shops have them, so what if any reasons are there for getting one? I haul my rental tanks with me, so that's not in the equation.
Thanks
Greg
A must have item for all the reasons as listed by everyone else plus you will not always be at your trusted LDS getting Nitrox. It's always safest to test for yourself. I also believe in a double check system. The LDS tester and my own.

While in PDC recently I ordered Nitrox for my dives but the LDS I used doesn't carry it so they outsource it. The tanks show up with contents displayed, at taths point I could have trusted the sticker, made the 1/2 mile trek back to the LDS where they keep their tester or I could just whip out my handy little tester and confirmed the percentage right then and there.

Dr. Frankenmule:

Thanks
Greg

Yep, you may find after the tanks have settled a little that the mix changes, shouldnt normally matter but you'd never know would you ?

Small point but you pay for the course, o2 cleaning, etc etc whats the extra cost of your own checker, which you replace the sensors on so you know its accurate. Like someone else said get this one wrong and it bites your bum BIG style.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Thanks.....
I was just sticker shocked from looking on line at other O2 testers.

I'm ordering the OyCheq one today, I can handle a couple hours of soldering. If I can make a welder from an alternator, I figure I can handle this.

I didn't find that thread when I searched earlier, that page has lots of good stuff. There goes another pay check.......
Oh well, it's a hobby right????? That makes it all ok, I think.

PS, how common is it for a LDS to have 21.5-.9% O2 directly out of their compressor? I switched to this shop a bit back, the guy has a tripple filter setup on it. Talk about scrubbing the air clean.

Thanks again everyone.
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom