Oxygen toxicity and air diving depth records

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers:
I was told by someone that there were no recorded instances of fatal/near fatal oxtox for young, male, in shape divers below 2.0 atm PPO2. Is this true?

Usually I set my limit at 1.5 atm, but wouldn't mind knowing my statistical odds. As it is now, I know the rec limits are set for Fred & Fran Fatass, the 50 year old, smoking, half-drunk vacation diving couple. I just don't know what's realistic for people of my age and fitness group, so I have been unwilling to go past the recommendation.

Well the "Tech" limits (which includes young fit people) are 45 minutes @ 1.6. You wont find many people that will willingly exceed that. (Unless they are doing huge decos and setting regular Air Breaks etc etc)

Is susceptibility to O2 toxicity even correlated to age/fitness/BMI? I have no idea.

Crazy Fingers:
Perhaps someone can answer this for me...

I was told by someone that there were no recorded instances of fatal/near fatal oxtox for young, male, in shape divers below 2.0 atm PPO2. Is this true?
It's always hard to prove a negative, but I suspect that it's true, of at least close enough to true for a biologist, which may not be odds that you'd bet your life on.

Crazy Fingers:
I just don't know what's realistic for people of my age and fitness group, so I have been unwilling to go past the recommendation.

Why would you even consider going past the recommendation? What would you gain by doing so?

ianr33:
Why would you even consider going past the recommendation? What would you gain by doing so?

ALso there are a few studies that have been done plus some evidence from "record" dives that a High PN2 seems to decrease the onset of cns..

What this means is that someone exposed to say a po2 of 2.0 with n2 as the only other gas is less likely to have otox symptoms than a diver who is on Heliox or a high helium trimix..

ianr33:

For the same reasons that anyone would want to do a nitrox dive. Reduced SI / Increased bottom time.

If I can get away with using EAN36 at 130 feet, you bet your *** I want to.

And I don't think it's unreasonable at all to want to know what the real empirical data is for people of my age group and body type.

Crazy Fingers:
For the same reasons that anyone would want to do a nitrox dive. Reduced SI / Increased bottom time.

If I can get away with using EAN36 at 130 feet, you bet your *** I want to.

And I don't think it's unreasonable at all to want to know what the real empirical data is for people of my age group and body type.

Well you could always get a little gear and training,do 130 feet on 28% nitrox and a few minutes deco on the gas of your choice. You would probably live longer that way.

You may be young and fit,but I do not know if anybody knows if that makes any difference when it comes to oxygen toxicity.

Crazy Fingers:

i thought one of the cave diving accident analysis sites had references to a tox or two at 1.6 or 1.8 which involved excertion combined with those ppO2 levels... i know i went looking at one point for oxtox episodes at less than 2.0 ppO2 and i found them...

lamont:
i thought one of the cave diving accident analysis sites had references to a tox or two at 1.6 or 1.8 which involved excertion combined with those ppO2 levels... i know i went looking at one point for oxtox episodes at less than 2.0 ppO2 and i found them...

Thanks Lamont. Did these involve young people or were they older?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom