oxygen toxicity calculator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My spreadsheet is metric and not imperial. I'll add an excel convert function and republish a bit later.

Apologies - I did not realize - it only mentioned Depth - I should have realized by your profile. :D

Hey!

It seems I cannot upload files directly anymore... I get some kind of error.
If you are still interested in my spreadsheet send me a direct msg.

Regards

1.3 half times should be calculated by 0.5 to the power of 1.3. By the method above two half times would leave no CNS rather than the actual quarter.
0.5 ^ 1.3 = 0.41 so 41% remaining.
Typically it is taught to only consider whole half times which avoids the fractional powers.

Yes but I was trying to show how you could get "close enough" on the back of a boat in wetnote scribbles. Since the OP doesn't seem to know how to roughly estimate their exposures and give an estimate across multiple dives on a day (100% is hard to hit on OC)

Bigd2722:
There are spreadsheets for just about everything. Does anyone have one for tracking/calculating oxygen toxicity?
just curious. thanx

I'm working on it. I've added the pulmonary oxtox to my tissue compartment calculator which BTW is a spreadsheet. I haven't posted this version yet because I want to include the CNS calcs which I am working on now.

Bigd2722, download this spreadsheet to calculate your OxTox.

To add to what RJP said earlier, I've (for fun) tried using the PADI Nitrox tables to see if I can construct an NDL dive series on 32% or 36% that will hit the oxtox limits. I can sort of get there using 36%, but cannot with 32%. I was doing things like NDL dives to the MOD for 36%, normal surface intervals, then doing it again. So on dive one to 90 ft for 40 mins you pick up 30%; 1h SI lets the next 90 ft dive be for only 21 mins, so you only pick up 15% on that dive. So 3 more 21 min dives to 90 ft, with a 1h SI in between, gives another 45%, for 90% total. So, using 36%, 5 consecutive dives to 90 ft, all to max NDL, and 1h surface intervals, gets me to 90%.

Doing the same strategy with 32%, first dive is to 110 ft for 25 mins, giving 20% O2. 1h SI, second dive can only be to 110 ft for 13 mins, giving 10% O2. 7 more NDL dives like that and I'm at 100%, but I had to do 10 dives totalling 142 minutes BT plus 9h of SIs, for a LONG day!

When I took the PADI nitrox course years ago, the final exam was 50 questions with a whole lot of math. You had to be able to determine the limiting factor of your planned dives, much as Tursiops did as I quoted above. All of those questions disappeared from the course. It is barely mentioned now. I assume that is because everyone eventually realized what I did when I took the test--when on Earth will I ever see a dive day like that?

The PADI Tech program spends a lot of time teaching how to plan these oxygen limits for technical dives. They give you a slate on which you place the values obtained from a set of tables. You add up the numbers. It would be fairly easy to set that up as a spreadsheet, depending upon how much of it you want to make automatic. I assume not many people do that because pretty much all technical diving software already does that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom