Oyster Diving where to go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joens

Contributor
Reaction score
I am interested in going diving for oysters . but I dont have a clue as to where or when to go. I live in texas but not on the coast so I would have to drive somewhere to do it . I have done some searches on the board and came up with some info but I need a little more info.
Joens

It was cold (about 39 F) and the vis was about 2', but we got about 150 of the suckers that we cooked out afterwards. Not sure I would do it again, but it was definitely an experience.

"Cooning" for them (harvest by hand) is even legal, but vis is generally not too good. Expect less than 3 feet, if that. Season is roughly from Halloween to Easter for the better ones. Bring a boat, but a 12' skiff is really all you need as the waters are well protected. Expect the reefs to be closed for a few days after a significant rain.

There arealso beds in south LA, but I'm not familiar with the rules there, and "quality" of LA oysters varies a lot by the reef and rainfall history.

FT

I thought oysters lived in the inter-tidal zone, between low and high tide. If that is true, you shouldn't need to SCUBA for them.
Do they live deeper than the inter-tidal zone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom