P.A.D.I. "Scuba Diver" - Unsafe at any depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakubson:
Especially since the NAUI equivalent of OW is called "SCUBA Diver." In my mind, this is a deliberate attempt to confuse people and cause people to look at NAUI SCUBA Diver with FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt).

It is not the first case of PADI and NAUI using the same term to mean very different things ... PADI "Master Diver" and NAUI "Master Diver" are not at all the same level of training ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
It is not the first case of PADI and NAUI using the same term to mean very different things ... PADI "Master Diver" and NAUI "Master Diver" are not at all the same level of training ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SALT being the Statement of Alternative Training produced by BSAT has the third level as follows:

BSAC Dive Leader
NAUI Master Scuba Diver
PADI Dive Master
SAA Dive Leader

quite different.

I'm not a fan of PADI's resort programs even though i'm certified under them. I feel that they(PADI SCUBA DIVERS) may pose a danger to themselves and other divers who dive with them,as alot of them do not go for the full OW course.
The only divers that i would think are qualified to dive with them are experienced master scuba divers, DM and above...as these divers know react appropriately in dangerous situations...
juz a piece of my mind...

There should be NO Resort Course scuba diving in my opinion. I have seen DMs trying to deal with 3 or more of these folks at once, taking them down one at a time only to have the first one bolt to the surface while they were on the way down with the second. In cases like that I feel obligated to sacrifice my dive to help them out. I'm sure a lot of you have seen the same thing more than once. I'm more than happy to give any new diver a hand but these "resort" people with just a few hours of training scare me.

One thing I would like to add is that a lot of "certified" divers I've seen who might do 2 dives a year, though they will say " I've been diving for 10 years, bla bla bla", are not much better than the resort course people. Don't get me wrong, there is a place for divers who just want to dive a couple times a year while on holiday but it should be in much more controlled situations.

dive_lover88:
I feel that they(PADI SCUBA DIVERS) may pose a danger to themselves and other divers who dive with them,as alot of them do not go for the full OW course.
The only divers that i would think are qualified to dive with them are experienced master scuba divers, DM and above...as these divers know react appropriately in dangerous situations...
Not really wanting to put myself in the position of having to defend PADI, but are you even up to speed on the restrictions for PADI's Scuba Diver cert? Everyone do yourselves a favor and get the facts about what the Scuba Diver and Resort courses really are before adding your two cents, CDNN is notoriously anti-PADI, anti-DAN, etc. they do a good job of outlining a problem but the reporting itself is terribly slanted.

Walter:
Your thread title is misleading.
Fixed... ; previous thread on the subject merged.
Rick

Padi scuba diver on CDNN... Yesterday I heard the body of the Dutch diver who had gone missing in the Vinkeveense Plassen was finally found. (read on..)

After hearing that, I visited the CDNN site, which had a large headline saying "Dutch police call off search for diver missing near Vinkeveen". How strange..

Well, at the bottom of the page they have some link for reporting your own news, so I sent them a link to a Dutch news article, with a rough translation of it, accompanied by a link to an article on the same website about how they continued the search with sonar, also with a rough translation, and the article also had some photographs online.

The diver in question had been diving with an instructor and several other divers.

Today they have rewrites of the two articles I linked to (well, they both give exactly the same information; nothing more, nothing less, so I think they are rewrites), just with two or three paragraphs, about how bad the PADI scuba diver course is, added to them. They don't say this diver was a PADI scuba diver, but in my opinion they come very close to suggesting it.

I could be wrong, but as far as I am aware, no information has come out about the training agency and also not about the training level of the diver. All divers who dive in the Netherlands that I know are not PADI, but CMAS (NOB) divers. (They're there, but also a bit rare..) I find it hard to imagine that even if it was PADI it would have been somebody with 'just' PADI scuba diver certification.

I don't say they're misinforming, they could definately be right and It's probably just me who is uninformed, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if they didn't know anything about this diver's certification.

(By the way, I also noticed they didn't display any copyright information with the image, which was clearly there on the Dutch website.. I'm probably just a bit mistrusting..)

dive_lover88:
Ok StSomewhere,i maybe wrong in my reply,but i have to ask you this,will you seriously buddy up with someone who does 2 dives a yr.
No, and I won't have to.

PADI Resort divers MUST dive with instructors -- after a pool session -- every time.

PADI Scuba Divers (and I hate how I have to qualify that in that way) MUST dive with a PADI DM, instructor candidate or instructor, but don't need to redo the pool session every time.

Seeing that I'll never be a DM, etc., I won't have to worry about it (though I do pity those guys who will).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom