Pack your insect repellent! Dengue fever in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay I'm going to shift a little bit and talk about repellents. I'm going to Bonaire next week and have been doing some research. Has anyone had any luck with picaridin? And what about permethrin? I heard 20% picaridin works just as good a DEET without the caustic side effects. And I plan to spray down my clothes with the permethrin. Any thoughts, ideas, etc.? :confused:
Pretty good collection of comments here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/362636-picaridin-vs-deet-war-against-sand-fleas.html

We're about to do the Belize Aggressor. With that being said, we bought spray with low levels of DEET, and long sleeved Columbia Omni-Freeze shirts that are supposed to keep you cool even in the heat. I don't believe mosquitoes will be a problem on a live-aboard when it's at sea, but he's taking no chances.
We never had a problem with mosquitoes on the boat, but did get eaten alive the last morning of one trip while hanging out in the lobby of the Radisson waiting to go to the airport. It was so bad we all decided to go to the airport early, which turned out to be even worse (at least until we got into the departure lounge.) The people at the checkin desk had these giant cans of spray out they were dousing themselves in it was so bad. (I think that was a May trip but not sure. Our other trips were not much of a problem. ) So anyway do be prepared for anything the small amount of time you do spend on shore.

the biggest prevention of mosquito bites.... spray your legs before you go out to dinner each night. Mosquitos are most active at dusk. They can eat you alive under a table at dinner in a few minutes. We had them in our room every night, had to kill them before going to bed. We also took along some Deep outdoors wipes that we used on our arms, hands, and faces at bedtime (anything sticking out of covers). I still got a few bites, but nothing like a friend who's legs look like they were more bites than skin. :shocked2:

robint,
good points but I believe the dengue mosquitoes are biting in the day time. this would make sense to me, I was rarely out at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom