Packing multiple cameras in a Pelican case as checked luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newfldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be packing all of my cameras in a pelican 1600 case for travel to Belize. Due to the multiple cameras, my wife and I will not be able to take them as carry on items. All items fit the foam perfect and I have never had a problem with Pelican during other forms of travel. Has anyone else used this method for flight and what are your recomendations? Any complaints from the airlines or problems traveling with them? I would love to put them as carry on, but it's to much to take.

I've known several people who've done this with total success. But if airline security are going to open it (very likely) you need some assurance that it will be properly repacked and resealed. I've had things broken (in a suitcase) after American airline security moved everything and didn't repack it properly. They don't care because (apparently) in law they can't be liable.

I will be packing all of my cameras in a pelican 1600 case for travel to Belize. Due to the multiple cameras, my wife and I will not be able to take them as carry on items. All items fit the foam perfect and I have never had a problem with Pelican during other forms of travel. Has anyone else used this method for flight and what are your recomendations? Any complaints from the airlines or problems traveling with them? I would love to put them as carry on, but it's to much to take.

If you check the fine print on checked baggage on the airlines, they don't take responsibility for checked cameras. I found this out the hard way when I had a brand new Canon camera stolen out of my checked luggage on a flight from Minneapolis to New Orleans a few years ago; there was one stop in Memphis. A baggage handler or someone in the bag check chain for this airline opened my case and stole my camera.

I would check with the airline, or get insurance on the item if you are unsure about it.

Insure them and chck them. Put the hard case in a duffel bag. A standard USGI Aircrewman bag is perfect for a 1600 hardcase.

I applaud your thought process that keeps you from dragging a Pelican case into the cabin as carry-on. It just makes no sense and is counterproductive.

If you pack your gear smartly in a padded carry-on bag, not only will your gear be under your eye, but with a litle bubble wrap and some inteligent handling, you'll have no chance of damaging anything.

Over many years, I have veered down the path of heavy metal u/w photo gear, but now find that I can take a point and shoot Olympus and with some "shutter anticipation", a close-up lens, and a small external flash, I'm good to go.

I understand tha you are knee deep in photo gear, but I say this as a caveat to those others who may be just looking into housed SLRs with armed flash heads... and more. Go slowly, look at what big gear like that is required for... maybe a close-up capable point and shoot will do you well. The big gear is excellent for wide and super-wides, great for iluminating larger areas from a greater distance (maybe 10' away and a 10' area versus a point-and-shoots meager 4' max range), but ow much of that stuff do you want to do?

Back to your topic, though... pick the stuff you want to check... maybe the housings? Carry the expensive part- the lenses and maybe leave the stripped bodies as checked bagage?

Do airlines have a prolem with Peican? No, but TSA views them with great interest because of their air tight apability. You figure it out. Contrary to common "common wisdom" there is very little incidence of theft from bagage. Such documented reports are very few and make great headlines, but are largely urban myth as to freqency. People might steal cameras, but aint nobody stealing SCUBA gear. If a baggage thief is lurking, they will only steal something that is easily concealed and has viable maket as a used item for resale. Regulators, BCs or an empty camera housing? Zero value. Damage from handling from a bad repack? A different story.

Insurance. Did I mention that? When you make the decision to play with big-boys toys, you have to play like they do. Insurance is a given. My point-and-shoot has no insurance. I check the Olympus housing and carry the little camera.

Like others have said I carry on a basic set-up on the plane. This includes 2xcamera bodies, 2-3 lenses, housing, one port, 2xstrobes, cords, chargers and laptop in this: F.64 | BP Large Backpack (Black) | BPB | B&H Photo Video
It fits in about any overhead with the exception of the smallest puddle jumpers. Sure it's about +30lbs but to date no airline has called me on it.

We check a Storm Case 2720 with extra lenses, ports, etc. On top I put a note with zip-ties asking Customs, whoever, to re-zip-tie the case when they are done. To date no problems.

Do I understand correctly that some airlines do not allow you to carry the (carry-on legal sized) wheeled hard cases onboard and placed in overhead storage ?? Didn't experience that on my 2007 trips and wondering if I have to change my packing strategy for this year. I have the Pelican (I think it's a 1550 model) with pull out handle and wheels. I pack my housing, Lenses, strobes, synch cords, arms, rechargeable batteries/charger in the Pelican and carry my 2 cameras, dive computer and miscellaneous small stuff in a backpack.

In the past I have always been able to pull the Pelican case onboard with me. Just wondering if those days are over.

I think what people are trying to say is that the big Pelican carryon cases are a little too much for some of the smaller planes to handle for overhead bin storage (heck, sometimes I have had a little trouble getting my backpack into those tiny bins), but then they usually take the offending bag from you at the door of the plane and check it into the baggage compartment. Then, when you leave the plane, the bag is sitting there on the tarmac waiting for you, as they unload those immediately and line them up at the bottom of the stairs. This has always worked well, at least so far. I have never had trouble getting my Pelican carryon into a bin on the standard sized jets, however. (except for the usual fight for space:eyebrow:) Woody

I don't worry about dive gear getting stolen from checked bags, much tends to be too big too hide, and it's not so easy to resell and make much money on. On the other hand, I would worry about cameras and lenses. I would consider splitting things up, carry on what you can of cameras and lenses - and maybe not take ones you can't. Check housings and maybe stuff like strobes and arms (not sure if someone would want to steal strobes or not.)

I might also consider insuring it with the airline. We haven't done this much, but observed that stuff seemed to get TLC and special treatment when we did, probably cause they don't want to have to pay off. The airline may not have control for the whole process, and I suppose the insurance sticker could actually draw attention to a bag, but I think it's something worth considering.

I pack my Ikelite housing and strobes in a small wheeled carry-on and then the camera and other misc equip in a backpack. The handle or strobe arms can then be packed in a checked bag since they will hold up to the rigors of baggage handlers and not tempting as they would appear to be just "hunks of metal."

And while the pelican case provides great protection for any equipment packed within, it also screams out "Steal me" in certain airports.

The only times the weight of the carry-on has been questioned was in the South Pacific on the way back. Air Tahiti and Air Pacific (Fiji)

get insurance on the item

I've contacted a few insurance companies, and they all confirm that unless your baggage is locked securely they won't insure the contents. Airline security prohibits you from locking your baggage. Unless someone can state from personal experience that they have successfully claimed on non-locked baggage I believe that buying insurance is nugatory expenditure.

From what I have read, theft from baggage is much more common than many people believe. Two or three years ago nine baggage handlers at Miami were prosecuted and jailed for stealing, and they were just the tip of the iceberg of the problem there at that time. They were all American employees of BA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom