Packing regulators for traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been carrying my regs and computer in a carry-on case with my mask and a couple other items for a while. When leaving Costa Rica a couple weeks ago, I did get challenged by security on the regulator folding tool kit in my save-a-dive box. The tool kit has some screw drivers, under 7 inches in length. so not sure what the issue was.:idk:

The more you travel, the more likely you are to check your regs.

They are all but bulletproof, have essentially no lure to thieves, and are heavy and bulky enough to be annoying.

Carry on your computer, if it's integrated, learn how easy it is to disassemble.

I roll them up like a garden hose and carry on. No need to disassemble. Since you live in Houston, I assume you will be going through IAH. Security has seen many regs headed for Cozumel and they will not be a problem.

I've been carrying my regs and computer in a carry-on case with my mask and a couple other items for a while. When leaving Costa Rica a couple weeks ago, I did get challenged by security on the regulator folding tool kit in my save-a-dive box. The tool kit has some screw drivers, under 7 inches in length. so not sure what the issue was.:idk:

The problem is that you and this lady could be a TERRORIST!

Attachments

• TSA.jpg
    TSA.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 66
The more you travel, the more likely you are to check your regs.

They are all but bulletproof, have essentially no lure to thieves, and are heavy and bulky enough to be annoying.

I respectfully disagree but there's certainly nothing wrong with checking your regulator. I just feel more comfortable packing mine in my carry-on bag, which has a dedicated pocket for my reg bag. Along with my regulator, I pack my carry-on with my primary prescription dive mask (my secondary pdm is checked), along with my computer and log book/c-cards. I put my fins, boots, wetsuit and bcd in my checked bag along with any dive dependent accessories like my knife and flashlights (without batteries to save on weight).

If nothing else, by flying with your reg in your carry-on you're less likely to bang into the checked bag weight limit.

yup what everyone else already said.. I carry on my regs, pc, compass, prescription mask, underwater camera casing, and I check my bcd, fins, boots, wetsuit.

Assembled, in an old plastic combination briefcase handcuffed to your wrist with the combination and key on a bracelet on the other wrist.

Hell, no. Then the thieves cut off both your hands... what are you thinking?!?!

I've only done one trip but I just checked all my gear with my checked luggage. Regs, computer, BC, fins, wetsuits and all. My vacation wasn't primarily a dive vacation, though, and I didn't dive until my 4th day so any "delayed" luggage had time to catch up. On a dive vacation I'd probably carry on my regs/computer and my bc.

I always carry mine on with computer and gauges in reg bag. Most airlines won't even count the reg bag as your carry-on since it is the size of a handbag. Just allow extra time at security as there is a better chance your bag will be opened with the regs, especially if you are going to a destination not known for diving.

Hello everyone!
I'm new at traveling with my own gear, sine I've always used the LDS rental gear.
Anyway I have this 2 questions for packing the regulators,

Is it better to take them apart (first and second stage, octo, etc) and them assemble them at the destination or is it better to pack them already assembled?

Also, can I take the Regulators and dive computer on my carri-on?

Your imput would mean a lot to me.
Thanks!

I never take them apart and I always take them in carry-on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom