Packing, Travel, Resort and Diving Tips for SB Invasion 2017 Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so do you think a longsleeve shorty will do the trick or should i bring by full 3/2 suit?

so do you think a longsleeve shorty will do the trick or should i bring by full 3/2 suit?

Eve

The amount of thermal protection people need is such an individual thing. We are all different. On top of that remember we will be doing multiple dives for multiple days. I always bring a 2mm shorty, Hooded vest, 3mm full suit, 1 mm long sleeve top, rash guard tops, then mix and match as needed. If I can stay warm enough, I prefer just shorts and a rash guard top, but half way through the week I usually have to add a little insulation.

I can remember a trip where I was buddied up with someone that gets cold easily, she wore a 5 mm full suit, I was completely comfortable with shorts and a rash guard.

Keith
AKA MNJoe

Last edited:
@MNJoe thanks -- I think I will bring both suits. Plus I have a rash guard shirt to help with warmth if needed

The good thing is I am used to colder water so I should be in the clear. Thanks so much

Eve

The amount of thermal protection people need is such an individual thing. We are all different. On top of that remember we will be doing multiple dives for multiple days. I always bring a 2mm shorty, Hooded vest, 3mm full suit, 1 mm long sleeve top, rash guard tops, then mix and match as needed. If I can stay warm enough, I prefer just shorts and a rash guard top, but half way through the week I usually have to add a little insulation.

I can remember a trip where I was buddied up with someone that gets cold easily, she wore a 5 mm full suit, I was completely comfortable with shorts and a rash guard.

Keith
AKA MNJoe

So true. Everyone is different when it comes to body temperature and what's needed to stay comfortable during diving.
I suggest bringing the warmer suit in addition to a lighter option. When it comes to comfort in the water, I'd rather have packed and not needed it, then to be cold for the week.

@ROXANNE great information. I copied and pasted so I could print this all out

Thanks

My pleasure, I'm glad that it's helpful!

The wife and I spent two weeks diving in Roatan last year (May and August) and she dove a 2/1 shorty while I was in a rash guard and trunks. She got a little chilly in the afternoons a few times but that was it. Not sure if that helps!

On the subject of the bug spray, I can tell you that the Cactus Jack works great. I wore it religiously and was never bothered at all, even when on the sandy beach between dives.

@AZNetEng it does help. ..I'm trying to cut back on the packing list lol

Back
Top Bottom