Trip Report Padangbai (Bali) Report: Geko Divers August '23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carono6333

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've just completed three days diving with Geko in Pandangbai, Bali

Accommodation: Topi Inn
Everyone was surprised we were staying at Topi as it's a real cheapie but we enjoyed it there. It's cheap as chips and you get use of the first floor, which has sofas that have a great view out of the bay. Rooms are basic, and cold water showers. Some noise from the restaurant downstairs, but there were no late nights. Some noise also from the guys setting out scuba tanks on the road outside from early morning. I sleep like a log and the missus popped in some ear plugs, so no worries.

Eats:
1. The wood fire pizza at 'Padangbai Billabong' is awesome (it's two door away from Geko)
2. The bbq fish warung (Warun bu Jero - see google maps) was also awesome, we ate there three times
3. One of the warungs on Jl Pelbuhan was pretty good

Evening entertainment: We saw the very awesome band Unb Rocken from Ubud play at Omang Omang Bar. I'm told they have a different band play at the bar each week.

Diving: Diving with Geko was great. We booked a 'Mola mola adventure' package as that was what we wanted to see. As well as having Kanos as our dive lead, Rico from Geko also came out on our first day to dive the depths and look for Molas. The idea was that Kanos led the divers and Rico would signal Kanos if there were molas down there. It worked and we dived down to 30m within the first 10 mins of our first dive to see two molas that Rico had spotted. Brilliant.

The rest of the diving was good with molas and mantas so we were happy. The sites were mainly around nusa penida, so they certainly weren't skimping on fuel and making sure we got the best of the dives available.

What impressed me with Geko was that they are not packing boats with mixed ability divers. They make sure you are with the right people, and multiple trips go out to various sites each morning. You get a lunch on return included in the price of your dives.

We only did 6 dives in total and focussed on molas and mantas, but there are plenty of other dive sites that we did not explore so if you want to stay longer and dive more if you wish. Also, Rico is great to hang out with at the dive centre to talk about diving. He teaches tech and we're considering returning to do a couple of courses with him.

A word of warning though... if you are looking for molas then you're in cold water. I took my 7mm semi-dry and was very glad of it. Lowest temp encountered was 21 C.

How's Padang Bai compare to Tulamben?

Different. Padang Bai is boat diving, awesome macro, access to nearby blue water dive sites (mola2 in season, shark cave, etc...), and easy trips to Nusa Penida.

The next question is always, "Is the macro better than Tulamben?" I do not think that can be answered with a black-or-white yes or no. It's different and very often amazing. The Padang Bai jetty is my favorite dive in all of Bali. I am much happier doing surface intervals drifting in a boat and laying in the sun. Drinking in Omang Omang is always a good time.

All that being said, Tulamben offers tons of positives, too.

The bottom line: if coming to dive Bali, one should for sure spend several days in both locations.

I've just completed three days diving with Geko in Pandangbai, Bali A word of warning though... if you are looking for molas then you're in cold water. I took my 7mm semi-dry and was very glad of it. Lowest temp encountered was 21 C.

I did the Mola at Crystal bay in shorts and T shirt. Twas a wee bit chilly at 22c. I did two dives same day my dive buddy in his 5mm was so cold after the first dive I had to lay him in the sun on the boat like a lizard. He did not come on the second dive he was so cold.

I just booked with Geko Divers for January diving... only 6 diving days I hope to get in 18 - 20 dives. Staying at the Puri Rai hotel.
Flight from Taiwan on China Airlines quite cheap compared to last year. Around US$380 return. Also I have a China airlines co branded credit card so I get miles from the spend and additional miles from the travel.

I've just completed three days diving with Geko in Pandangbai, Bali

Accommodation: Topi Inn
Everyone was surprised we were staying at Topi as it's a real cheapie but we enjoyed it there. It's cheap as chips and you get use of the first floor, which has sofas that have a great view out of the bay. Rooms are basic, and cold water showers. Some noise from the restaurant downstairs, but there were no late nights. Some noise also from the guys setting out scuba tanks on the road outside from early morning. I sleep like a log and the missus popped in some ear plugs, so no worries.

Eats:
1. The wood fire pizza at 'Padangbai Billabong' is awesome (it's two door away from Geko)
2. The bbq fish warung (Warun bu Jero - see google maps) was also awesome, we ate there three times
3. One of the warungs on Jl Pelbuhan was pretty good

Evening entertainment: We saw the very awesome band Unb Rocken from Ubud play at Omang Omang Bar. I'm told they have a different band play at the bar each week.

Diving: Diving with Geko was great. We booked a 'Mola mola adventure' package as that was what we wanted to see. As well as having Kanos as our dive lead, Rico from Geko also came out on our first day to dive the depths and look for Molas. The idea was that Kanos led the divers and Rico would signal Kanos if there were molas down there. It worked and we dived down to 30m within the first 10 mins of our first dive to see two molas that Rico had spotted. Brilliant.

The rest of the diving was good with molas and mantas so we were happy. The sites were mainly around nusa penida, so they certainly weren't skimping on fuel and making sure we got the best of the dives available.

What impressed me with Geko was that they are not packing boats with mixed ability divers. They make sure you are with the right people, and multiple trips go out to various sites each morning. You get a lunch on return included in the price of your dives.

We only did 6 dives in total and focussed on molas and mantas, but there are plenty of other dive sites that we did not explore so if you want to stay longer and dive more if you wish. Also, Rico is great to hang out with at the dive centre to talk about diving. He teaches tech and we're considering returning to do a couple of courses with him.

A word of warning though... if you are looking for molas then you're in cold water. I took my 7mm semi-dry and was very glad of it. Lowest temp encountered was 21 C.
Agree, I dived with Geko earlier this year and wrote about it here. They're my "go to" dive shop in PB.

No ferry horns in Padang Bai.

Tulamben is spread out and a bit sleepier. Pandag Bai is a port, more compact and busier.
There are loads of travellers heading to The Gillies and Nusa Lembongan from there. Hence the ferry horn.
The horns don't bother me and I quite enjoy sitting on balcony in the afternoon or evening watching the ferries on the horizon and going in and out of the harbor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom