PADI 200m swim test question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are goggles permitted for the swim test? I would rather do the swim with goggles if I can. I searched around and found conflicting answers.

shop i used had 2 different swim distances 1 with just bathing suit and 1 with mask fins and snorkle. I dont see how the mask would help you unless you have contacts in or have really sensative eyes, but padi's outline is what i stated (i forget the distances exactly but MFS swim is further) Just ask the instructor you plan on using and they will let you know

I have contacts and was not allowed to use goggles. I was only allowed to use them for the 50m underwater swim to see the line we had to pass.

I don't see a logical reason they wouldn't be allowed, they don't give you any real advantage other than not getting chlorine in your eyes. The swim test is above water, so I don't really see what banning them accomplishes.

actually if your mask doesnt break or get lost you will have them, just get annoying after a little while

Will you have goggles on you when you are stranded in open water?
No but I would hope to have a mask. :wink:

There is nothing in the S&P that states you cannot wear swim googles.

I took MSF option and it was 300m. Somehow DM lost track and insisted to go another 100m. Since this is easy I just did it and completed 400m total. I could have done standard 200m swim but the MSF was bit easier for me.

I did mine with goggles and was never questioned about it.

And while I wouldn't have goggles in the ocean, I also wouldn't be dealing with pool additives either. (and that's without getting into the whole question of what swimming 200m in a pool in a swimsuit has to do with being in an ocean in surf and current in a wetsuit . . .)

Will you have goggles on you when you are stranded in open water?
Well ignoring that you'd have a mask and that you probably wouldn't get stranded in irritating chlorine, were this was the test where you had to retrieve your mask underwater without being able to see, well that makes sense to not allow goggles: it would defeat the purpose of the test. But the swim test has nothing to do being able to see underwater, it's just testing your basic swimming skills.

And I really can't see a situation where someone is stranded and the defining factor of them not surviving is they did a swim test years ago with goggles on and aren't prepared for floating at the surface without them ... Additionally, not having goggles would be about the smallest difference between the two scenarios: what about the BCD, tank, wetsuit, weights, etc? Swimming 200m in a pool in a bathing suit prepares you for stranded with all this gear, but somehow having goggles on will completely mess up your training? I know I'm exagerating what you said a little, the point is I don't know PADI's intentions, but I don't think the swim test was added because of issues with stranded divers.

Personally, I'd say "you really don't need them", but I still don't see how it hurts the training in any way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom