PADI 200m swim test question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did PADI OW last month and I could still do 300m MSF.

I'd have to look up when it was taken out but I think it was like a year ago. Maybe your instructor hasn't been reading his updates... :)

R..

Current (2009) PADI manual you can still perform either:

"a 200 metre/yard continuous surface swim or a 300 metre/yard swim with mask, fins and snorkel."

Can you use swim goggles during the 200m? Yes - if they're good enough for olympic swimmers they're good enough for Open Water students! :D

Can you use a mask - well - there's nowhere it says you can't but in general swimmers don't wear masks - gets in the way of the nose anf stuff and so therefore, no, I don't let my students wear a mask to swim.

I usually have my students do the swim however I would like to put forward that the 300m mask fins and snorkel swim is of more relevance to diving; it certainly encourages better finning technique!

Cheers

C.

Hmmmm..... I wonder if this has something to do with European legislation then. I think if it were up the bureaucrats in Brussels they'd have a standard for how long you're allowed to grow your toenails so it wouldn't surprise me if this only applies over here. I'll try to get some more information when I have a bit more time.

Ok, I found it on the members site:

1. the watermanship assessment for these courses [Scuba diver and Open Water diver] you must conduct the ‘200 metre continuous surface swim and a 10-minute swim/float without using any swim aids’ prior to the first open water dive. Note that you cannot use the ‘300 metre swim with mask, snorkel and fin and a 10-minute swim/float without using any swim aids’ as an alternative to this.

It only applies in Europe.

R..

p.s. incidentally they have a nice definition of what bureaucrats call 'direct supervision' too

The scuba instructor shall limit the number of students on open water dives so that either the scuba instructor or a safety diver is able to establish physical contact with every student at any time during the open water dive’

If you read this literally then I think it means that your maximum ratio is 1:2 and you can't give your students more than an arm's length of room to manoeuvre.

R..

I am guessing the swim test is only in the pool and not also in open water?

That's correct, the only purpose of the swim test is to ensure that you have basic swim skills prior to beginning training.

Jason

The swim test is conducted in "confined water," which can be a swimming pool or an open water site with clarity, calmness, and depth similar to a swimming pool. You only have to do it once, though.

Ahhhh European legislation. That's why I don't live there any more. I am on the run for possession of overly bendy bananas... :D

C.

I will let students with contacts or sensitive eyes use either swim goggles or dive mask for the 200m swim. These are NOT swim aids. Most of my students opt for the 200m swim rather than the 300m MFS swim. Even those with minimal swim skills. Particularly one student who barely did the 10 min tread without going under. Stood on the side of the pool with the flotation device for his benefit.

If I were teaching independently I would require students to get good swim and skin diving skills before scuba. But alas as a staff of a dive center I can't always lead with my preferences.

Having done the 300m in mask and snorkel when I did my OW a few years ago. I'd make the following suggestion to anyone testing now:
Even if the 300m snorkel choice is still part of the standards just do the 200m swim.
The 200m is swimming any combination of strokes you'd like to use.(even doggy paddle)
For those with sensitive eyes flip over on your back and casually swim 200m.
This is not timed you just need to complete the 200m without drowning. Relax and enjoy you don't even need to get your face wet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom