PADI Advanced Open Water Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wondered about that. Thanks for the clarification. The shop I used only offers the full meal deal, not the appetizer tray.

The Search & Recovery specialty does not require AOW. The Prerequisites are Advanced Open Water -or- Open Water Diver with the Underwater Navigator Specialty. The reasoning behind these requirements is that the student taking a Search & Recovery specialty should have skills beyond the OW "out and back" compass swim to be successful in performing some of the required search patterns.

Can you point me to where it states that in the Instructor Manual? As I did a search for "recovery" and could find no such exception (which would make sense if it exists).

EDIT: Nevermind. It is in the S&R specialty instructor guide. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:
It’s just software. It would be pretty sad if the software used by PADI couldn’t notify them that someone qualifies for AOW via classes. We are talking about maybe 10 lines of code max that is executed everytime a certification is processed.
I would certainly be possible to write software that would do this, but since I imagine close to zero people around the world try to do it this wa, it has probably never occurred to anyone that there might be a reason to write that software.

I would certainly be possible to write software that would do this, but since I imagine close to zero people around the world try to do it this wa, it has probably never occurred to anyone that there might be a reason to write that software.
SSI has.....

SSI has.....
SSI requires that students take 5 specialties, so it is the norm for them. PADI does not require 5 specialties, so it is extremely rare for them. It makes senses of an organization to set up a system consistent with their requirements; it does not make sense for an organization to set up a system consistent with something that pretty much never happens under their requirements.

If one has a choice between the sampler platter and the full specialties, I suspect many people would take the sampler platter as it's less work. A lot of people want the easy route. - to get the deep card for certain dives on vacation?

PADI doesn't seem to make a point of marketing the full specialties as an alternative to the sampler platter.

SSI has.....
Yes, that's true. My specialties have the instructor's number on them. The AOW card has an agency number instead. Something like 9999

it does not make sense for an organization to set up a system consistent with something that pretty much never happens under their requirements.

Sorry John, but any software engineer worth a grain of salt will tell you that edge cases must always be addressed,

If one has a choice between the sampler platter and the full specialties, I suspect many people would take the sampler platter as it's less work.
I did the sampler and then eventually took the full specialties not counting the earlier dives toward the specialties. Just maxing my dives at a time when I had fewer dive buddies. Also learned a bit since we often went past the syllabus.

SSI requires that students take 5 specialties, so it is the norm for them.

The shop may, however SSI does not, see post #40.

PADI doesn't seem to make a point of marketing the full specialties as an alternative to the sampler platter.

They market them differently. SSI wants to sell the specialties up front, where PADI works the progression OW, AOW, Rescue, then go proffessional or do the specialties for MSD. During DM, specialties may be added as a shop requirement to make a more knowledgeable DM. Saw it happen to a friend.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom