PADI Adventure Diver Cert. with classroom only.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flycaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A freind was telling me he obtained his Adventure Diver certification by doing only the book and knowledge reviews without ever going in the water.
is this possible?
Sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.

Here is a section of Page 76 of the PADI instructor manual:

Certifi cation Requirements
For Adventure Diver, student divers meet performance
requirements:

• Complete three Adventure Dives.
• Complete the three Knowledge Reviews for the
completed Adventure Dives.
For Advanced Open Water Diver, student divers meet
performance requirements:

• Complete fi ve Adventure Dives including Deep and
Underwater Navigation.
• Complete the fi ve Knowledge Reviews for the
completed Adventure Dives.

But then, it is certainly possible for an unscrupulous instructor to send in the certification without having the student complete the requirements.

Did your friend happen to complete 5 specialities? before doing the adventure diver?

I'd never heard of "Adventure Diver" as a PADI cert. yet there it is:
ADVENTURE DIVER
Having read it, I still don't know. Does sound like smoke and mirrors, sorta.

Aren't all dives adventures??

Or do we start off as "boring dive divers", then move up? I've never been on a boring dive. Where can I find one?

I'd never heard of "Adventure Diver" as a PADI cert. yet there it is:
ADVENTURE DIVER
Having read it, I still don't know. Does sound like smoke and mirrors, sorta.

Aren't all dives adventures??

Or do we start off as "boring dive divers", then move up? I've never been on a boring dive. Where can I find one?
Have another beer.

Was it possibly a Nitrox class. AFAIK PADI and SSI do not require dives with the nitrox class. However 2 nitrox dives after the course are recommended.

LOL - I had my first experience with PADI about a year after I first got certified - while I was on vacation. After my single dive, my PADI dive leader asked me if I wanted a certification for it? I replied, "But I didn't take the class." She said, "that's OK, you did great." I didn't have any PADI cards then, so I paid and two weeks later my souvenir PADI Specialty Diver card came in the mail - with some dude's name on it! Apparently I never even met my PADI instructor either. Maybe this is what happened to your friend ...

LOL - I had my first experience with PADI about a year after I first got certified - while I was on vacation. After my single dive, my PADI dive leader asked me if I wanted a certification for it? I replied, "But I didn't take the class." She said, "that's OK, you did great." I didn't have any PADI cards then, so I paid and two weeks later my souvenir PADI Specialty Diver card came in the mail - with some dude's name on it! Apparently I never even met my PADI instructor either. Maybe this is what happened to your friend ...

Ha! Could be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom