PADI Announces Partnership with Contiki Vacations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what the issue is. Promotions designed for people in the 18-35 age range will be targeted to people in the 18-35 age range. If you think target-marketing based on things like age doesn't happen in any and every other product/service category you consume you've really not been paying attention.

I am well aware of target marketing based on factors such as age. However, most of those offers that I am aware of are to older folks in recognition of the fact that later in life many people are retired and on fixed incomes. Perhaps out of respect for the elderly, or in an attempt to make their retirement years easier, or whatever. Realistically, those offers also give the business a chance to tap a market that they may well get very little income from if the stuck to the higher retail prices.

Some other offers are geared towards children, for very obvious reasons.

I really cant see any obvious reason to say that a 35 year old can buy this package but a 36 year old can not.

I had a sales and marketing company for several years, and I offered some "deals". But, I made sure I had a clear and consistent reason for lowering my price to any person or group that was defensible if someone that payed full price became aware that someone else paid less. Volume discounts etc etc. I dont see anything here that would make me comfortable restricting these "deals" the way they are talking about doing. Especially when PADI is part of the equation and stands the chance of alienating a very large portion of their membership.

I am well aware of target marketing based on factors such as age. However, most of those offers that I am aware of are to older folks in recognition of the fact that later in life many people are retired and on fixed incomes. Perhaps out of respect for the elderly, or in an attempt to make their retirement years easier, or whatever.

Wait! What?

Age-based target marketing is conducted against every demographic. Perhaps you're merely looking at the offers YOU'RE getting?

I had a sales and marketing company for several years, and I offered some "deals". But, I made sure I had a clear and consistent reason for lowering my price to any person or group that was defensible if someone that payed full price became aware that someone else paid less. Volume discounts etc etc. I dont see anything here that would make me comfortable restricting these "deals" the way they are talking about doing. Especially when PADI is part of the equation and stands the chance of alienating a very large portion of their membership.

You're reading to much into it. The language says that PADI members in 18-35yr old age range will "receive promotions" meaning they will be the target of the marketing. The trips - and the marketing communication - will be designed to appeal to 18-35yr olds based on what is believed to be of interest to millennials. That seems to be who Contiki is focused on. If PADI wants to reach millenials with travel offers it seems like a pretty good idea. Nowhere does it say - or even imply - that a 36yr person will be denied the ability to book a trip that is promoted specifically to 18-35yr old targets.

Especially when PADI is part of the equation and stands the chance of alienating a very large portion of their membership.

Are you alienated when 20yr old women are offered tampon coupons?

Ironically, this thread has probably gotten more attention than if the entirety of the release were posted here.

we should be happy that we won't be spammed (oops I mean sent promotions) even though I am sure we could take the same vacation...and be "that creepy old guy" on the trip.

I have friends that have taken contiki trips and loved them. lots of partying and not a lot of individual effort in planning the trip. probably not a bad partnership for PADI to get more young people with disposable income involved in diving.

Took many Contiki trips in the past and loved them...they are longtime operators in the 18-35 tour market and provide a great product at a great price. Now that I'm well outside that demographic I have no problem with them making an alliance with PADI..it's nice seeing something that incents more younger people to go diving

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom